A pair of Spits - Tamiya & Guillow's

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Hey all.

I wasn't going to blog about these, but then I thought "what the hell, can't hurt". The Attacker has stalled as I'm waiting for some more scribing templates to arrive.....my freehand attempts just aren't up to scratch (boom boom!).
I won't be going in to any detail, just progress.

I started a Guillow's balsa spitfire around Christmas, when it was really cold and I was stuck indoors, as a play thing for my 7 year old. The intention is for this to be the elastic band powered flying version and is also my first ever balsa build. It was this that got me back in to modelling this year.

I also picked up a 1/48 Tamiya Mk1 Spitfire from Steve Brodie (thanks again Steve!) which I am going to do in the Battle of Britain scheme as a remembrance piece. I hope to follow this up with a Hurricane, however am finding Mk1 examples in 1/48 hard to come by.

The Guillow's is a couple of coats of dope away from being ready for papering and the Tamiya is already the best injection molded kit I've ever built, and I'm only ten or so parts in. Steve had already sprue sprayed some of the interior parts which will form a good base for highlighting.

So here's a current state of construction photo and a picture of the boxes.

IMG-1590.JPG
IMG-1591.JPG

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Got cracking with the cockpit for the Tamiya spitfire this week.

Here's a shot of the completed components,

IMG_1632.JPG

Some close ups.
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG

And here she is in the altogether.

IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG

I think it's fair to say that having dealt with those seatbelts, you can definitely add me to the 'not a fan' club. This was 1/48, and I have a full set of PE for a harrier in 1/72.....:sad:

This kit is a joy to build. The parts are moulded with a lot of obvious thought to the positions of the sprue points and with assembly, meaning you don't need to apply glue to faces or joits that will be visible. It's just a shame that there aren't many / any Tamiya kits in my chosen subject.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Chris. Fabulous kit isn't it, the online builds make it very tempting to get one.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks Joe.
I’m sure this subject has been done to death and it’s not a particularly interesting subject to many, however it is worth highlighting just how good the quality of this kit is.
If you can get one at a good price it is worth every penny.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
So this turned in to a trio, with my 8 year old building the Airfix 1/72 Mk.1a as his second model.
IMG-2321.jpg
IMG-2322.jpg

I helped with the painting and decals, mainly to try out preshading and washing in preparation for my one, but he did all the cockpit, assembling and main decals. A pretty good effort by my own standards.

Here's how mine is sitting right now. Primed and ready for the preshading.

IMG-2335.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-2323.jpg
    IMG-2323.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
look forward to seeing how the balsa kit goes together, ive got a guillows chipmunk in the stash that ive been scared to start cos ive never done a balsa kit

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
...I helped with the painting and decals, mainly to try out preshading and washing in preparation for my one...
Well ... luckily for your son it didn't turn out into a disaster! :smiling6: :smiling5:

The 1/72 looks excellent - Nice models guys! :thumb2:
Cheers,
Steven

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
look forward to seeing how the balsa kit goes together, ive got a guillows chipmunk in the stash that ive been scared to start cos ive never done a balsa kit

Me too, but I just got on with it. It's the best way. It's a different way to model, more craftsmanship involved when keeping bulkheads square etc, but it's straightforward enough when you get the hang of it.

Well ... luckily for your son it didn't turn out into a disaster! :smiling6: :smiling5:

Ha! I can credit him for keeping me in check and making sure it came out properly!

His grandmother gave him a model kit of a Jaguar she had in her garage....from 1990! We just started it.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Finishing the attacker and getting on with the Animal Antics GB has given my confidence a boost with painting and I'm cracking on with the Tamiya.

It helps to have a model mate though! This is my sons third and I've promised him a Tiger tank kit as his next. I get the feeling he is going to be an armour enthusiast!

IMG-2368.jpg

(cake comulsory).

Got the black out so gave all the sundries a coat of that and preshaded the aircraft.

IMG_2425.JPG

Applied the sky in a couple of coats in one sitting. I think you can just make it out and I'm happy with the results. I was skeptical about this technique at first (mainly due to my inability) but it seems to be working for me.

IMG_2426.JPG

Here's a close up to see if it's more visible.

IMG_2427.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Chris and son! The Airfix MK1 looks great (please pass on my congrats to your son) and the Tamiya kit is really coming together. I too am interested to see how the Guillow’s kit progresses you don’t see too many of those on the forums.

Great work both
Paul

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks Paul!

I’ll get this spitfire out of the way I think before I pick it up again.

The main construction is done, next is doping on the tissue paper.

I plan on making the Guillows hurricane next, and have my eye on the new Airfix 1/48 hurricane as a companion to the tamiya spit, so maybe another ‘pair of’ in the future.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's looking very nice. Sky, H90, one of my favourite colours.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Well...The brown went on well and I decided I wanted the heavily feathered edge look on the green, so tried to free hand the camo pattern.

It didn't go as well as I expected. The edges were fine, but the coverage was patchy and you could see the spray paths clearly. The patterns were also all over the place, so I have reprimed the wings and am going to use the blu tack method to ensure a thinner coat of paint and a more uniform pattern.

IMG_2439.JPG