a question !! if you could build any model (kit or scratch) what would it be and why ??

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Mine choice is a little complicated.

A 1/35 B17, but with a differenc. I would need a full in-flight crew to populate it, but build the model in the following sections so you can see the crew, from front to rear:

Bombadier/ navigator's nose area would be in a boxed dio, looking forward so you are looking through the front of the plane to the the back of the boxed dio which would be a photo of the sky, possibly with some 1/44 aircraft.

Flight deck / bomb-bay / radio operator - cut-away side view.

Main body: boxed dio, cut like looking down a tube from just behine the 2 waist gunners towards the ball gunner

Rear gunner - side cutaway.

The kits of the plane are available but not the crew. If anybody knows of a crew, please let me know.

Peter

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That sounds like a very cool series of boxed dioramas, I agree. As for figures:

Bombardier:
947409-14605-58-pristine.jpg

Flight engineer:
1176363-27767-20-pristine.jpg

Navigator:
1009913-14605-94-pristine.jpg

Scalemates has some more that you might be able to adapt.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Mine choice is a little complicated.

A 1/35 B17, but with a differenc. I would need a full in-flight crew to populate it, but build the model in the following sections so you can see the crew, from front to rear:

Bombadier/ navigator's nose area would be in a boxed dio, looking forward so you are looking through the front of the plane to the the back of the boxed dio which would be a photo of the sky, possibly with some 1/44 aircraft.

Flight deck / bomb-bay / radio operator - cut-away side view.

Main body: boxed dio, cut like looking down a tube from just behine the 2 waist gunners towards the ball gunner

Rear gunner - side cutaway.

The kits of the plain are available but not the crew. If any ody knows of a crew, please let me know.

Peter
A very cool idea!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic idea Peter but for me it's to be able to build all I have in the stash to the degree that i'm satisfied with. I don't see that happening so I would have to be selective and don't buy anymore. :smiling2: And that's also not going to happen :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Jakko I don't know whather I should love you or hate you!

Not having sourced the figures gave me ther perfect excuse for not attempting this project - until now!! Thanks for the figures, Ihad not heard of this manufacturer and they have quite a range.

I am going to have to have a long think, this would be an expensive project: £150+ on figures, £200-330 on the B17, but it would in effect be 4 quite complicated projects so probably not bad cost for all of the enjoyment (and frustration!). Some of their figures look a bit 'wooden' so would need modyfying to animate them but they would be a good starting point.

I think I have to finish my King Tiger first, by that time they may have added a tail gunner to their range of figures.

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Neil and Richard

Not entirely my idea. The original idea for the waist gunner and nose section, of looking down the length of the fusilage rather than a cross section came from a model which featured in Military Modelling - although it was 120 mm scale u-boat control room.

I found this photo of the cover of the mag in the WWW which gives a hint of what the model was.

Peter

1B17329D-628D-4D40-B1E6-F14342A14C33.jpeg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
M18 Hellcat in 1/87, none available in my scale. PaulE

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not having sourced the figures gave me ther perfect excuse for not attempting this project - until now!! Thanks for the figures, Ihad not heard of this manufacturer and they have quite a range.
I also had never heard of them before, but just searching for “USAAF*” on Scalemates and then selecting the checkbox to only see figures, turned them up right away.

It would be very interesting seeing models like this, but as you say, it’d be a quite involved and expensive project.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Jakko - my searching had focussed on B-17 crew rather than USAAF.

Thanks for doing the search, I think my birthday and Christmas lists have just grown!

Peter

C

Chris S.

The top of my list has recently been answered with the Takom Bergpanthers, so now it's a 1/35 Bergpanzer III. I can't understand why was haven't seen one with a couple of manufacturer's already producing Bergpanzer IV's?

J

Jimmy666

One day I'm going to scratch build a model of the boat I get to work every day. I'm guessing I'll need a 3D printer and about a thousand percent more experience than I have now, but one day this....

clipper.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi
My choice can become reality at the end of this year - the new Airfix Buccaneer 1/72
The reason - my dad was one of the designers of the plane. It was built at the Blackburn Aircraft Factory at Brough. As a youngster dad would take me into the factory. In those days before computers really took hold all the plans were drawn out full size by loftsmen. That used to fascinate me - watching them work. Each assembled Buccaneer was transported by road, pulled behind a truck on its own undercarriage. They would make a journey of around 16 miles down winding country lanes and across bridges with sharp bends to the company’s Holme-on-Spalding Moor facility, where they would undergo final checks and flight testing. As a child I would watch them coming through the village.

Derek Whitehead - on the right- was the chief test pilot. He was a great guy. Let me sit in a Buccaneer once.

You can see why I have to have this on my "must build" list.
Jim

Last edited:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I too am twitching in my seat for the buccaneer!
Can’t find a scimitar or a westland wessex anywhere. Would love those.

What I’d really love to build, money no object, is a full scale ATAT. I could use it as my workshop!

D

Dave S4

A French WW1 cavalry figure (mounted) in 54mm: chasseur a cheval, cuirassier or dragoon, c.1914.
Seeing as no-one seems to make them yet ... unless anybody knows different/

D

Dave S4

I too am twitching in my seat for the buccaneer!
Can’t find a scimitar or a westland wessex anywhere. Would love those.

What I’d really love to build, money no object, is a full scale ATAT. I could use it as my workshop!
Me too (Buccaneer) and it would be really nice to get a Scimitar in non-resin form.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Love that story Jim......seeing them on th road for the first time must have been quite disconcerting...l

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
My 1/32 Heinkel He111, at the moment I don't have anywhere to put it.