a question of varish?

P

premacy10

Hi all

I have made several models now which i have used vallego gloss varnish to seal and then weather, but i am finding that this gives too much of a shinny unrealistic look especially on sand or desert colours.

Would it ber possible to use a matt varnish on top to reduce the shineiness and give a more realistic look.

Any tips gratefully recieved.

regards

Tony

M

m1ks

You can use a matte varnish over the top of any work already done including your gloss. A gloss surface is essential for good decal adhesion and best for weathering washes as it allows the wash to pool properly. Once it's all done you can lay a final coat of any finish you want.

P

premacy10

Hi m1lk, thanks for the quick response will it dull the varnish down though?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
m1ks is absolutely right. You can spray a final coat of varnish to suit your subject,be it satin or matt. It will dull down the finish accordingly. You may also notice that colours that look quite a bit darker under your gloss varnish lighten up a bit.

Here's two pictures of a Ju88 I built a while ago.

In the first one the finish is very glossy as the decals have been applied over and sealed in with Klear gloss varnish.

The only thing different in the second picture is that I have applied a matt (ish) varnish to give the model its final finish.

The percieved shift in the contrast between the camouflage colours can be a bit tricky! All you can do is use a bit of experience to guesstimate where they will end up.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

Tony, that's a normal procedure. Apply a gloss coat, get the transfers sorted out, apply washes and other possibly other weathering mediums then finish off with a matt varnish. You can then add more weathering to the matt finish as well.

AFC

First Name
Andre
Hi All,

Is this one a good matt varnish for different models (i.e., aircrafts, cars, etc)? And does it work well with both enemel and acrylic?

Model Color - Matt Varnish - 70.520 (from SMShop)

Thanks

AC

PS - and by the way, if I have a model that I've painted a couple of months ago is it still ok to give him a coat of Klear? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: