a question !! why the hobby and epitomise what it means to you ??

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
WOW... that is THE question.....
Why i started?? today i would say.... why not?
I remember the first time i build a plane with my Dad... i was 7 or 8 and it was a seaplane... I can still remember the fun of doing it... it was summer at the mountain... and it was a very peaceful moment of relax with my parents...
Then l had then a gap... for about 5/6 years i didn't touch a piece of plastic and after entering a model shop i did some models... M113ACAV-F14-Pbr-M1 Abrams...and then the SCI-FI Warhammer period came.... i guess until i 27.... then A HUUUGE gap... (work travelling-no time) and finally 2014 arrived and the virus bit me again..
Sitting at the bench painting and building these tiny vehicles and figures... just gives me a sense of peace... i actually switch off my brain and i'm on another planet....
I think it sums why i do it... (i started very early-always loved military stuff-sense of calm)
Have a nice day you all

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Great thread and interesting stories ;D

I was a very young boy when I noticed some 'marklin' modeltrains displayed on a very high shelf at home, they were very mysterious to me, as I didn't understand what they did there and what a model-railroad was...

These were the modeltrains my father had in his young days. Sometimes I asked him to pull me up so I could take a closer look, but I was too young to play with modeltrains at that time...

Some years later my dad got his old railtracks from the attic and showed me how things worked... It was all very special, the little lightbulbs, the smell etc...

In his old boxes we found some very old 1/72 plastic soldiers and after seeing the movie 'battle of the bulge' I was completely facinated by ww2...

My dad started telling about his childhood and building plastic airplane modelkits and I asked santa for an F-16 jet... He got me a 'Fouga magister' starter-kit from 'Heller' (in those days you had to buy what the store had on the shelves ;D)

Some other 1/72 airplanes followed and after a few years I was in the local toystore with my dad and there he got me a 1/35 panzer IV from Italeri...

We had a great time building the kit together and soon a Tiger and Panther followed...

Then like most of you I got other priorities, school, friends, ...etc

After a break of many years I got into RC (radio controlled) model airplanes, that was a great time and I did it for about 8 years...

Things got put on hold again when I decided to go studying, but then one day I passed a store selling 1/144 revell airplanes, less than a dollar a piece, I decided to fill a box and to make some of these planes for oldtimes sake.

It didn't took me long to order a 1/35 tank-kit and 'voila' things suddenly got serieus again ...

Sorry for the long story :D
Cheers, Steven

W

windymiller

thanks alan but I don't know what a iplayer is
If you have a smart TV it's the BBC player that holds programs for 30 days I think (I had children when I realised I cudnt work the TV remote anymore!)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
thanks alan but I don't know what a iplayer is
It’s the BBC’s app and website for when you’ve missed a program. Here is episode 1, available for the coming three weeks as of the time of writing, and here is episode 2, available for four.

I’ve managed to catch about five minutes of the repeat of the first episode, and being outside the UK, can’t view of download the episodes I just linked to — and nobody seems to have put up a torrent of them either.