'A retirement home for Lucky XI'... Revell Tug Boat.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Indeed it is 570, your latest effort is precisely why I never throw anything away until the project is finished. Saved yourself a ton of work Lad. Cheers, Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's a wow from a fellow members of the wood butchering brigade.
Love it, love it , is that 15 mm pipe by any chance Hep, the plastic pipe that plumbers hate. Certainly looks like there double skinned one ,fab idea.
Back to the crows nest.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's a wow from a fellow members of the wood butchering brigade.
Love it, love it , is that 15 mm pipe by any chance Hep, the plastic pipe that plumbers hate. Certainly looks like there double skinned one ,fab idea.
Back to the crowd nest.

It certainly is 453.
I love it. I enjoy soldering copper pipe, but this is so much quicker. I sometimes wonder just how long the plastic 'Pushfit' joints will last though!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
wasn't there a tug boat?
:smiling2: :smiling2::tongue-out3:

Yes indeedy! Now I've gone as far as I want with the backdrop (I think) I've turned my attention back to the vessel.

Last night I came back from a long w/end camping at a Beer and Cider Fest. on Stratford on Avon Race Course and just having a nice relaxed day today model making.....

I've decided not to totally trash it like the trawler I modelled in the tropics, but try and apply some very serious neglect and deterioration instead.

Today's progress.

The harbour buildings. I've resisted the temptation to tile the roofs and just given them a lick of paint.
I've also blanked off the end of the harbour with a length of stone wall.
I've brush painted the tug Vallejo Air in my own choice of colour. None too neat, as there will be some serious rust and weathering to come.

P1230512.JPG

P1230513.JPG

P1230514.JPG

P1230515.JPG

P1230517.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Top work 570! Will there be any pyrotechnics to hold 453's interest? Just curious, will there be any 15mm Zulus to hold mine.....I'm just getting my coat.:tongue-out3:
Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just curious, will there be any 15mm Zulus to hold mine.....I'm just getting my coat.:tongue-out3:
Rick H.

Just for you, Rick.

No pyros, but a mini bus load of Zulus have arrived for fish and chips, only to find the chippie is closed!

They are also annoyed because the day trip boat has left without them too.

P1230519.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Alun.
Haven't seen you on here for a while. I suppose 'tis the season for chasing wayward Lilos and rubber ducks across the bay.....and gently giving the occupants a few home truths!
Whatever you get up to, you and the lads stay safe when out on a 'Shout'.

Update.
I've made some good progress today.

I've started to add some gunge to the hull of the tug.
P1230531.JPG

Rather than tile the roofs, I've decided to meet myself half way and be happy with penciling in the roof tiles onto the painted card and adding ridge tiles.
P1230534.JPG

.....and I've been making some mud pies! Mix whatever takes your fancy to build things up. Just think mud and slap it on. Luvverly. :thumb2::upside:
P1230520.JPG

P1230521.JPG

P1230524.JPG

P1230523.JPG

I've also slightly altered the line of buildings to add a bit more interest.
P1230522.JPG

Once the mud was down, I added crushed up stones around the edges of the stone walls and stream exit.
P1230526.JPG

I've left a bit of a groove in the mud where the culvert would spill out it's contents.
P1230533.JPG

I've started to paint in a bit of marine growth all around the harbour wall.

The vertical piles are scrap pieces of foam board with the grain scribed in with a scalpel. The long piece of wood is a coffee stirrer.

P1230528.JPG

A trial fit of the tug.....
P1230532.JPG

It's getting a bit of life now and ideas are starting to penetrate the sponge between my ears!

In the next stage I will start to add a bit of silicone here and there.

I will leave painting the 'Water' until the last minute, otherwise I'm sure to balls it up with some unwanted staining.

Cheers all and thanks for looking.

Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Just for you, Rick.

No pyros, but a mini bus load of Zulus have arrived for fish and chips, only to find the chippie is closed!

They are also annoyed because the day trip boat has left without them too.

View attachment 347339

Damn Ron, you are just so silly, but one hell of a model builder. They really do look PO'd that the boat left without them!!! More fantastic work here Sir....

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for the Zulus 570!! Made my day! Wonderful progress so far and if I came all that way for fish & chips, only to find the place shut, l'd be on the war path too!
Cheers, Rick H.