'A retirement home for Lucky XI'... Revell Tug Boat.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
P1190202.JPG

P1190203.JPG

I took this away on my recent holiday to give me something to do should the weather give me it's usual pounding whilst up in the Hebrides. The elements didn't let me down!

I was able to nearly complete the model as far as was required whilst snuggled up in the motorhome with a glass of summat, listening to the rain and howling wind.

I forgot to take any stage pictures, but as this model has been built a couple of times or so already on here, I hope you will forgive the omission.

I'm going to try and model the tug abandoned up a tidal muddy creek all neglected and sad and quietly rotting away. Tidal, because I can then add barneeculs etc., similar to my Sherman and trawler. Luuveerrly!

Anyway, here is the boat so far. Yesterday I brushed on an all over coat of green primer. Good to see the back of that awful red plastic!

P1230392.JPG

P1230393.JPG

P1230394.JPG

I've just realised that I need to grind off all the moulded on equipment... :angry: Ropes, axes, lifebelts etc, as these would have certainly been removed prior to her being 'Decommissioned'

Hey Ho!

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
As you may remember I built this as an abandoned tug quietly rotting away. I forgot to grind off some of the equipment so it stayed - must be a harbour with very honest people 'cause it wasn't nicked :tongue-out3:
Hope you don't mind my posting my effort - it may give you an idea or two. Not that you'll need ideas as this is right up your 'tidal muddy creek'.
P1050286.JPG

Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Jim, yes indeed, one excellent build. Your comments re. the equipment might be just the excuse I needed to do likewise...... :thumb2:

Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
570, just looking in here. I don't think I have ever seen a 1:108 scale model before. This little beauty should fit on the shelf nicely once completed. Cheers, Rick H.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've re-primed the ground down areas where I removed all the 'Movables' and added all the bits I need.

Once the primer is dry I will add the little bit of rigging and the decals, then I can concentrate on the base.

P1230424.JPG

P1230425.JPG

P1230426.JPG

P1230427.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Are you going to fill that seam on the stern, and the sink marks either side of it?
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Are you going to fill that seam on the stern, and the sink marks either side of it?
Pete
Sorry Pete, they are neither.
In 1952 the American Trans Atlantic Liner United States took the Blue Riband from the RMS Queen Mary. When the United States reached the Ambrose Lightship, the captain was so excited he forgot to change the engine telegraph to half speed. The ship was approaching harbour at too fast a rate. Luckily, Lucky XI was luckily out in the shipping lane and luckily the tug's skipper managed to luckily get in front of the liner. The liner hit the tug square on the stern. Wow! Lucky XI was lucky to be luckily going full ahead, so luckily the only damage was two big dints and a split weld seam to the tug's stern. Now that really was lucky for Lucky XI.
The tug was hailed a hero for luckily slowing down the liner. Unluckily for Lucky XI her damage was too costly to repair, so she was pensioned off to a quiet backwater, where to this day Lucky XI luckily rests in peaceful solitude, dints and splits proudly on display. Lucky old Lucky XI.

As a matter of interest the kit box art is taken from a photograph taken seconds after the two vessels came together. The original photo was taken by a New York Times reporter who on hearing of the impending crisis, hired a boat to take him out to the scene to get a scoop picture.

Your Servant.

Harry 'Ron' Houdini

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ron, were you ever the gamemaster in a group playing roleplaying games? You certainly seem to have the knack needed for coming up with thorough explanations for implausible situations that players have a habit of wondering about.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As a P.S. When I was last in New York, I visited the waterfront where I met and talked to the son of the late skipper of the tug.

"Pops used to tell of that occasion and after docking the Liner safely he went off to find the skipper of the charter boat.
When he found him he said"..

"Listen to me you son of a bitch! It's bad enough trying to stop 53.000 tons of runaway metal without having to avoid you crossing my bows, so if you ever come near me again out there, I'll jump aboard your boat and punch your goddam lights out!"

I've made a start on the base.
I've used a piece of chipboard for the base and on this I've glued a piece of polystyrene which has been suitably marked and cut out.
P1230429.JPG

The bed of the tidal inlet and the mud banks started.
P1230430.JPG

Cheers.
Ron