'A retirement home for Lucky XI'... Revell Tug Boat.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank for the encouraging and complimentary posts chaps. Most appreciated..... :thumb2:

I came up with a few more ideas last night - About 2am. and yes, I was asleep! Sad, or what?

Here they are.
I decided to 'Blank off' the end of the inlet. I've made a bit more wall and added a culvert pipe (15mm plastic pipe) and a set of stone steps made from scrap foam board.
Also, I reasoned that no self respecting calm inlet would be without a slipway. (Foam board)

P1230455.JPG

P1230456.JPG

P1230454.JPG

I'll probably extend the wall at the back of the new bit.
Let's also see what the early hours of tomorrow bring along!

Cheers all.
Ron

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ron very impressive I love that tug I have a few of these but there Lindberg I may just have to try to build one after watching this great job

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Lee.

Update....
I've added some timber harbour wall protection and a wooden jetty, all made from spare foam board, slivers of scrap timber and BBQ skewers, all coated with a wash of grey acrylics.
The random planking on the jetty is simply scribed onto a piece of plastic card. Even in this scale the board gaps wouldn't be too prominent.

P1230471.JPG

P1230472.JPG

P1230473.JPG

P1230474.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys!
I've been chewing over what to do at the back of the model along the harbour front.
"Make a row of buildings." The present Mrs. Ron said, so, as I always obey her.....

First stage is a paper template. I will transfer it to a piece of foam board, mark around things, then cut it all out where required. This section will be a mixture of timber cladding, stone, tin, slate and brick. This combination will hopefully help to break up the row of buildings.

I can only make it a bit of a facade to allow for a reasonable walkway and it will run along the harbour wall behind the tug.
The figure is 17mm tall and the buildings are 420mm long.
P1230477.JPG

I really haven't a clue how this will all turn out, but I'll have a stab at it. I have to, it's the wife's suggestion!

Thanks for looking.

Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ron, will it be a forced perspective to create distance or will you stick to scale? Not sure what 17mm scales out to. Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron, will it be a forced perspective to create distance or will you stick to scale? Not sure what 17mm scales out to. Rick H.
Hi Rick, I'll stick to scale, the buildings will be along the harbour only a few feet from the tug. The figure is from the kit which scales at a very cob 1/108.
Also, I can't do a forced perspective because that would prevent me from taking any shots from above the model.

Thanks for the question.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've transferred the template to the foam board, cut openings out and started to mark what goes where.
Initially I planned to have the roofs side on to the harbour, but I've altered them to have the gable ends showing. I hope this will make for a more varied 'up and down' row of buildings when compared with the paper template.

The two end buildings will still retain the side on roofs.

P1230478.JPG

P1230479.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
I've added some colour. I got the idea from looking at my photos of the lovely buildings at Tobermory on the Isle of Mull and I've started filling in the doors and windows.
P1230483.JPG

P1230482.JPG

P1230481.JPG

I'm in danger of this exercise taking over from the main subject - The tug.

So, as the buildings will be really be a backdrop, I'm cutting down on the detail I might normally add.

Thanks for looking.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking good. That row of buildings in Tobermory is quite famous. There is a similar row of recently built flats in Stornoway - all painted in different colours.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers, Jim.
The missus and I were looking at our Scottish holiday snaps the other night when up popped Tobermory. Ping, an idea was born!
Here is the front view more or less finished. I will be adding a bit of depth to the buildings including a portion of roofs etc. to the frontage.

P1230486.JPG

P1230487.JPG

P1230488.JPG

As the whole thing will be a backdrop and prior to re-fixing them, I painted the pretend frames and the reflections on the 'Glass', directly onto the off cuts rather than spend time making proper windows and doors.
P1230489.JPG

I saved all the cut out windows and doors bits then marked the features, thinned them down by half and glued them back whence they came. Thus leaving a nice reveal.
P1230492.JPG

I'll tidy things and add stuff once the rest of the buildings are complete.

Cheers.
Ron