A Soft Top... Without the top!!

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A VERY brief interjection from me here.......
Thanks VERY MUCH to "Outrider",(AKA Andy!),for pointing this out:thumb2:,I probably should have realised by reading the instructions further on:anguished:,but,in my defence,i was looking at speeding up the build after encountering,and getting over a few problems along the way!!
All seemed well,so i primered,base coated and continued.... only to notice THIS,after Andy`s post.....
View attachment 441330
I fitted the parts ALA the left hand place,struts into upper chassis box:thumb2:.....HOWEVER,(And surely it`s not just my eyes?!!),in the right hand place,it`s in the LOWER box section!!:rolling:
Not sure it`s perfect yet,we`ll just have to see! THANKS ANDY though.... that could`ve ended up a complete kit muncher!!:surprised:
Andy
No worries mate, I have made far worse mistakes in the past by not looking far enough through the instructions. I have built a few trucks and it just did not look right to me, luckily it was an easy fix. The instructions do seem to be slightly misleading on that part.

Andy.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then,after the frantic time that is Christmas..... i`ve actually made some progress on this one.........
I won`t pretend it`s been an easy build,the warnings from you guys early on certainly proved correct!!:flushed:........
gt9.jpg
A bit of a warp in the sub frame as you can see there........ nothing that some serious clamping and super glue can`t fix mind:thumb2:.........
gt51.jpg
With the clamps removed,steps and fuel tank fitted along with the basic cab assembly........
gt50.jpg
Started painting up the dash and interior,a long way to go on this,but i can still carry on with the sub assemblies of the load bed,and quad gun pack in between times.....which is nice!!
That`s it for now,but more to come in the next day or two.
It`s a nice kit:hugging-face:,but for me,having heard much praise for AFV kits in the past,i don`t think the fit/instructions/lack of certain details make them worth the money.....
..... give me a Tamiya/Italeri kit ANYTIME:nerd: .... and i`ll enjoy adding bits myself!!
Thanks for looking in,and welcome to 2022!!
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just read through this Andy. It’s looking great, despite the mistake in the instructions….it looks a really nicely detailed kit, but it seems AFV club need to do a bit more critical checking before final release. I’ve only made one of their kits before myself, but that one also had a couple of errors in the instructions and a small part that was simply not supplied on the sprues…requiring a scratch replacement.
Bodywork will bring this along nicely now though…..bring it on !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I like AFV Club kits — sure, they don’t fall together like Tamiya’s do, but they cover much more niche subjects (plus some more mainstream ones) and generally have better than average detail. Certainly for their age — remember that kits like this M35 were released 25–30 years ago, when they were a long way ahead of pretty much everyone else in respect to detailling.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just read through this Andy. It’s looking great, despite the mistake in the instructions….it looks a really nicely detailed kit, but it seems AFV club need to do a bit more critical checking before final release. I’ve only made one of their kits before myself, but that one also had a couple of errors in the instructions and a small part that was simply not supplied on the sprues…requiring a scratch replacement.
Bodywork will bring this along nicely now though…..bring it on !
Indeed Tim.... the entire build has been very problematical !:fearful:
Not impressed if i`m honest.... and they ain`t the cheapest of kits!!:flushed:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I like AFV Club kits — sure, they don’t fall together like Tamiya’s do, but they cover much more niche subjects (plus some more mainstream ones) and generally have better than average detail. Certainly for their age — remember that kits like this M35 were released 25–30 years ago, when they were a long way ahead of pretty much everyone else in respect to detailling.
Yeah,i get what you`re saying Jakko......
But but this particular kit is awful mate ...... it really is one i'd NOT recommend!!:
Andy

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then Chaps.....
Despite a complete cock up with the instructions,(Not my fault,i could put up the pics quite easily!!},
Here`s where i`m at at the moment.......
IMG20220116170915.jpg
IMG20220116172311.jpg
IMG20220116170938.jpg
Obviously a WIP going on paintwise.....It`s kinda coming along though.... and here`s the Gun Mounts,(LOADS A BITS involved here!!)....
IMG20220115214237.jpg
That`s it for now guys.... I know it doesn`t look that impressive ...... but i WILL get there!! :thumb2:
Thanks for looking in!!
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I think you've done well, 6 wheels and all on the ground ! I have trouble with 4 .
Very nice Mr Smith .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Carry on Smitty......will be worth it in the end!