A train layout from way back

L

Laurie

I always state that I started model making about 4 years ago.

I came across this photo and realised I started then on this solitary project. About 30 years ago.

I built it for my youngest son, of 6 or 7, secretly in the garage. It was for his Christmas Present .

Not sure he got a look in. I marvel at how I managed to get so much into such a small space. It had basically 3 tracks with 3 locos whizzing around.View attachment 81381

View attachment 81382

View attachment 81383

View attachment 81384

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Busy scene that is Laurie. Would have been a great present.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one. So? did he ever take ownership of it, or did he just get to sit and watch why you used it. (to show him how it worked naturally :smiling: )

Ian M

L

Laurie

\ said:
Nice one. So? did he ever take ownership of it, or did he just get to sit and watch why you used it. (to show him how it worked naturally :smiling3: )Ian M
Well Ian he had a struggle with a senior brother, two sisters and a father. But on occasions he was allowed to watch.

The truth is I spent a lot of time replacing the locos on track as Peter the owner would insist that trains should be operated at top speed all the time. Also excitement was gained by arranging points

and guessing how many circuits it would take for a crash to occur.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I spent many an hour watching my dad "show me how it works" when i was a lad. Can you remember the old Hornby-Triang three rail system. Must be worth a few bob these days....Wonder where that all went.

Happy days, eh?

Ian M

F

frame69

Lovely stuff. My dad built one in the attic but I could only go up there when he was home.

He was a HGV driver away for weeks at a time :sad:

Frame.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That's looks amazingly busy, not a train person but thought about a dio the possibilities are endless...

Lee ;)

L

Laurie

Thanks Lee and Frame long time ago but I got carried away. But I really enjoyed making the whole thing.

Pauline, my wife, reminded me that my young son did not treat the locomotives with true reference in fact far from it. But when we sold the layout the person who bought it handled the loco with true reference as if they were the most precious thing in the world.

Laurie

B

Biggie

This is amazing! Dating 30 years back, it is interesting to see so many details on the layout, wow. Do you still have it or is it long gone ?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Laurie.that is just great, and for how old it it as well, so much detail and so buzy as well top layout well done :D

L

Laurie

Rok and Monica many thanks. No long gone Rok. Monica please do not remind me of all those years ago "how old it is " ;)

Yes a long time ago. The place I bought all the stuff an locs form often reminds me. he was a young man and his father used to run the shop, father gone,a shame, but son carries on.

It is a good reminder of a Christmas a long time ago. Plus how mums and dads invest their time in their family's well being.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's brilliant Laurie. I never got past setting up the track on the carpet for a few hours, before putting it away again. It's great seeing such detail in a build like this.

First Name
Aaron
Fantastic!!! If i got this for christmas at age 6...i would have s#@t myself.

L

Laurie

Thanks Scott Colin and Aaron. Think I can say that is my first and only diorama. That is if the purists think it comes into that class. All the building were kits and not hand made.

Most important I enjoyed building it. First for my own pleasure and then to see the pleasure of my youngest son eldest son and two daughters all scrapping for a GO. Such is family life. Youngest son is now 36 so a long time ago.

Laurie

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Laurie, don't know if you're still reading this forum, but I found it really touching that you would spend all that time building a layout for your youngest son. Reminds me of how helpful and supportive my father has always been, too!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work,do real like it,well done,;):D