A trust nurtured is a trust complete....Sheer magic!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been working on gaining the trust of one ever curious Robin for the last month or two.

Each morning after I've fed our resident birds, I go to the same spot wearing the same fluorescent jacket, and place crumbs in my hand. The Robin has gradually become bolder...

15 minutes ago this happened.....

A brief second, silent and still, can seem timeless as you make eye contact, and for a moment you acknowledge and accept each other's presence. Then gain the ultimate trust from a wild creature.

After the Robin quietly hopped off my hand, I stood still for quite a few minutes. Such a coming together as this had never happened to me before.

It was enough to humble even the most cynical of humans.

P1250075.JPG

Thanks.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
Some folks might think of such an occurrence as nothing special - Let them, this silly old f**t was quite emotional!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hang on, you've been wearing the same clothes for a month? That robin must have no sense of smell!

Lovely story though Ron. We have one that taps on the window when he wants mealworms, but won't come anywhere near them unless we sit in the house.

Pete

D

Deleted member 6559

Wonderful stuff Ron. They're such lovely birds. I have one that comes and stands on the windowsill asking to be fed each morning.

Many years ago I used to eat my lunch in an old churchyard garden off Kensington High Street. All the birds there would eat out of your hand, I suppose through years of training by other lunch-goers.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What a beautiful thing to capture, well done Ron. That trust is something special .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH Ron this is incredible wonderfull to see this ive never managed it an you did very well to get a pic of the happening we have a little robin in our garden as my wife jen jen puts out food for the birds but wow you luck devil
chris

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Fantastic Ron.Every now and then something like this happens and it's wonderful.
i remember a water vole coming to share my sandwiches once when I was fishing and a couple of sheep coming in my house for corn flakes.
Jon.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,

Nice one, :thumb2:, reminds me of walking in the local forest many years ago, myself and my two boys.
We stopped for a breather sitting on rocks under the shelter of the trees.

A robin landed on my eldest sons hat - then fluttered onto a nearby branch. It did this several
times - my two boys were very amused by this - and in between the bird landing - I managed to
get some "food" out the rucksack placed it on the eldest boys hand and told him to hold it out
with his palm straight. Sure enough the robin landed eventually and pecked at some of the food.
Eventually we had to move on, and left some "food" for this curious visitor - or thinking about it now -
the invaders left the very curious resident a gift!! After all it was us that stopped in his territory. :smiling:

We returned a couple of times over the year to the same spot, but we never saw the robin again.

Paul.
:smiling:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice one Ron. Thx for sharing.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic moment Ron , truly special. I love to see the birds in our garden , in fact the house sparrow and woodpigeon populations are booming in south sheffield due to the amount of food the greedy buggers eat in my garden ! I think it would be cheaper to have a pack of hounds as pets ! Seriously though its a small price to pay , we've always fed the birds and the pleasure you get from seeing them is priceless. Last year Bert ( we call all the woodpigeons bert , dont know why) came with his wife (betty) and after a few months four baby berts . They come and sit on the wall waiting for us to put out the sunflower hearts . We also have a sparrowhawk who occasionally takes the odd sparrow , sad but its just nature and its brilliant to see him flashing between the houses like a guided missile .