A very personal project

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Everyone

This next project is of a subject very close to me. My grandfather drove a Sexton Self Propelled Gun in WW2 and it's my intention to try to build a model of this vehicle in his memory.

You may have read that I have the S-Models resin kit of the Sexton, and that the quality is not good. To remedy the kit's inadequacies I've decided to build the entire upper and lower hulls from scratch and replace the gun, wheels, sprockets and bogies from other kits. This will be a complete Frankenstein's monster of a kit with a great deal of it made from scratch.

Here are the main parts to the hull from S-models. The parts are full of air holes, which wouldn't be too much of a problem if they weren't in such critical parts (some completely obliterate detail such as whole rows of bolt heads). The parts are also warped and of varying thickness, which is a problem in such an open fighting compartment.

View attachment 22196View attachment 22197View attachment 22198View attachment 22199View attachment 22200View attachment 22201

I've therefore decided it would be simpler to construct the upper and lower hull from plastic card. I have copies of the plans for the Sexton as well as a lot of reference (I photographed the example in the Royal Artillery museum in Woolwich from every angle I could get to!) so I think this will be possible.

These are some pics of some of the parts /kits and spares that will make up the Sexton. The gun from S-models was a complete right-off so the replacement comes care of the Tamiya 25pdr.

View attachment 22214

This Sexton model will eventually form part of a larger diorama entitled 'Liberation' and will depict XXX corps arrival in Eindhoven. I haven't got all the details down yet but it will involve vehicles being mobbed by crowds of civilians, dutch and orange flags hanging from building windows, girls kissing soldiers kids riding alongside tanks on bikes etc.

View attachment 22215View attachment 22216

The idea for this diorama really comes from my late grandfather who never really spoke about the war but was happy to relate this joyous occasion that happened in September 1944.

Here's a few pics I was able to track down of the regiment driving in to Nijmegen later in the campaign. The streets aren't busy here I am trying to show the vehicles!

View attachment 22208View attachment 22210View attachment 22211View attachment 22212

Of interest are the Armoured Observation Post (sherman tank) and the Sd Kfz 251D halftrack the regiment seems to have liberated from the Germans sporting a new 50 cal machine gun!

Finally, here's a pic of my grandad in uniform (pre-war). The cap badge is that of the Leicestershire Yeomanry of which the 153rd Field Reg RA was part.

View attachment 22213

This build will be something of a very slow burner, this will not be a quick build! The diorama could take several years as it involves a lot of figures and (probably) a lot more figure mods (again). I see this project as running along in the background to other projects but I think, when complete, could look quite spectacular and quite up lifting.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings, I hope I haven't bored anyone too much!

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 29053

View attachment 29054

View attachment 29055

View attachment 29056

View attachment 29057

View attachment 29058

View attachment 29065

View attachment 29067

View attachment 29068

View attachment 29069

View attachment 29070

View attachment 29071

View attachment 29072

View attachment 29073

Sexton build06.jpg

Sexton build01.jpg

Sexton build04.jpg

Sexton build05.jpg

Sexton build02.jpg

Sexton build03.jpg

153rd Reg RA 03.jpg

130BatteryTank.jpg

153rd Reg RA 01.jpg

153rd Reg RA 02.jpg

Denis Trickey.jpg

Sexton build07.jpg

Eindhoven002.jpg

Eindhoven001.jpg

F

Fenlander

Wow Paul, what a project and what a damned good reason to do it. Not rambling at all and certainly not boring anyone, this is a truly epic project that I hope, no matter how long it takes, you not only succeed but keep us posted at times when you add to it.

I suppose the Sexton will be the initial part of the plan, sounds like a lot of work to do on that but it will be worth it.

L

Lancasterb1

Paul

That is a very worthy project indeed that you have taken on, I for one would sure like to see the progress of this one especially as it is one from you heart. Good Luck with the project, it will be a great personal feat when you have finished judging by the time frame that you have set.

Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Andy, Graham I only hope I can do the scene some justice

Graham: the main differences between the Sexton and Priest are the chasis and the main gun. The priest was based on the M3 Lee chasis and the Sexton was built around the Canadian Ram tank. The Priest was armed with the 105mm US howitzer whilst the Sexton used the British 25pdr. The British and Commonwealth troops actually used the Priest first but swapped to the Sexton as supply of ammunition was easier along the British lines. Visually the Priest also has a pulpit! the round armoured machine gunner's platform on the right of the vehicle, whereas with the Sexton you simply strapped Bren guns to the sides!

Of course it's 'Sod's Law' but I bet as soon as I finish the Sexton a plastic injection kit of it will come out!

Cheers guys

Paul

F

Fenlander

Cheers Paul, I deleted my question as I found the article was the Bishop on a Valentine Chassis not the Priest, that I must have seen in another mag.

Cheers for the info though, I have just looked at my MiniArt Valentine but, naaa, I am not up to such a conversion yet lol

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No worries Graham

It's funny how all the Self Propelled Guns were named after clergy titles isn't it? Bishop, Priest, Sexton - I'm praying that this build comes off!

The Valentine sounds like a nice kit.

All the best

Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

I always find it interesting when someone has a specific reason for building something such as this. The reason I chose the Ben Ain model to build was because it was based around the Irish Sea for it's working life and my Father sailed with Manchester Liners out of the Manchester Ship canal there is always the possibility that he may have actually seen this ship. It certainly makes it a lot more personal for me and gives me a lot more drive when the enthusiasm starts to wane at times.

T

tonyb6000

Lovely story, great motivation. Shame about the resin kit, good luck.

Apparently my great uncle Eli rode a horse that pulled the artillery guns into line in WW1. Maybe I should do some more research into it...

Tony B

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Paul, im sure with your scratchbuilding skills this will be a doddle for you, sounds like a BIG project but i know itll look awesome when youve done it, best of luck , cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Richard, I agree: research and personal attachment to the subject all add to the model building experience. Your Ben Ain model will mean so much more to you because of your father's profession.

I should add that I hadn't a clue which regiment my grandfather was part of until I did some sleuthing. It was fantastic to get photographic evidence to back up my research. The only thing my grandad told me was that he was in the Royal Artillery and he drove a tank without a turret but a fixed gun!

Tony the WW1 artillery carriage sounds like fantastic subject matter for a model. If my experience is anything to go by I think any research you put into such a project will be very rewarding.

I obviously am very proud of my grandfather, I don't think he was particularly heroic but he did give me an insight into the ordinary WW2 soldier's experience with the few stories he did tell me.

I once asked him if he was scared during the war, when I pressed him on it he did recount one instance when they were being shot at in a field, the bullets were flying past his ears and sounded like bees, he said at that moment he couldn't bury himself into the ground far enough. He told me this story when I was about 15, so way before the realistic sound effects of films such as 'Saving Private Ryan', so it turned out to be a pretty good description!

He also told me that he was once charged with looking after a soldier suffering from shell shock. As part of the forward observation team, this man and 2 officers were in a church bell tower when a shell went straight through it. Both officers were killed and this man was left suffering from the trauma. Later, in my grandad's care, they were being shelled again and he dragged this man into a slit trench, this man was petrified with fear and gripped my grandfather's hands so tightly that he drew blood. Mostly though he'd tell me that if he hadn't joined the army then he wouldn't have met my gran when he was billeted in Yorkshire!

Thanks everyone for the best wishes with the project - I'll certainly give it my best shot.

Paul

Ps. All other projects are still on going - I'm at this moment putting together the cockpits to the 1/32 and 1/48 Typhoons!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I just caught up with this. That's a great story,there can be no better reason for tackling such a project. I join the others in wishing you the best of luck with it,don't forget to keep us posted.

Cheers

Steve

W

wanna_be_aviator

A good challenge and a great inspiration! I will be watching this build with great interest. It's quite different when someone's experiences are part of a great historical moment and this person is close to you, it adds such human dimension to it. It makes the subject all the more special.

cheers

Marcos