Abbreviations and acronyms (what do those letters mean?)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Somewhere to list all the abbreviations and acronyms on the site. A recent post saw a fellow modeller and myself wondering, so list away! May be useful to new members. I'll start with:

PE = photo etch (ed) - metal parts usually bought in addition to a kit which enhance or improve the model
SBS = step by step - instructions for a particular subject, model or technique

@Admin - if this belongs elsewhere please move thread. Thank you.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
WH = WWII German Army
WL = " " Airforce
WM = " " Marine/Navy
DE = WWII German
BW = West & modern German
w/first cuppa.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
IPA = Iso Propyl Alcohol ( or India Pale Ale ) - thinner, cleaner & solvent
PVA = Poly Vinyl Alcohol ( or acetol ) - white glue
CA = Cyanoacrylate - super glue
TET = Tamiya Extra Thin - glue
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
HTH - Hope that helps
ATB - All the best.
IIRC - If I recall correctly.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OOB - Out of the box (no aftermarket extras)
AM - After Market

How about a new one:

WINSTON - Wish I'd Never Started This One Now! (Maybe this could be added to the list of kit/manufacturer ratings we're talking about elsewhere?).

Not strictly model related, but absolutely modeller related:

SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed (the missus, or as seems to be more prevalent nowadays, the significant other)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Watch your pronouns Dave.....you'll bring thee Mods down on us! :tongue-out3: LOL
Rick H.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
After deciding not to do an OOB on my BF 109 of JG27 I got some AM PE and stuck it on the U/C with CA , IRRC the results can be seen in my SBS - FUBAR ! What a WOFT , it looks RAF ! FFS !
So for now its SNAFU .;);):smiling5::smiling5: I’ll get me coat:smiling5:
I reckon the german armour guys have a lot more to put up with though , what with SDKFZs and PZKPFWs and suchlike

btw ( another one!) most of the above are either too rude to explain or colloquial so Google is your friend ! TTFN , tony

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
May I suggest a local and well known acronym from Italy: UCAS (Ufficio Complicazione Affari Semplici) which could be translated into "Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs" (OCOSA), a typical bureaucratic (it seems I spelled it correctly, according to the orthographic control ;)) degeneration; if referred to our hobby, I think it suits to some of model firms's branches dedicated to the instruction booklets or the painting guides. :nerd:
I spent my professional life swimming, diving and sometimes drowning in acronyms and it seems they are still after me! :worried::sick::tongue-out3:.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
May I suggest a local and well known acronym from Italy: UCAS (Ufficio Complicazione Affari Semplici) which could be translated into "Office for Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs" (OCOSA), a typical bureaucratic (it seems I spelled it correctly, according to the orthographic control ;)) degeneration; if referred to our hobby, I think it suits to some of model firms's branches dedicated to the instruction booklets or the painting guides. :nerd:
I spent my professional life swimming, diving and sometimes drowning in acronyms and it seems they are still after me! :worried::sick::tongue-out3:.
Excellent. Do follow instructions... unless told not to follow instructions!? ;)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Arg you have not come across Dragon instructions yet them Dale ?
I haven't yet, no. I do like the look of their kits though, so may well do.
I am stubbornly resisting the urge to buy more kits for now, as I have a large inherited stash already.
The thing is, none of them are less than 40 years old, so, yeah. Dragon are tempting. As long as my willpower lasts...