Abbreviations and acronyms (what do those letters mean?)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
One that always puzzled me is ANOMALY. my dictionary (Webster's) says it's an abnormality. To me this suggests that the word abnormality was hacked to death years ago to create a slightly shorter version (for what ever purpose) that not only means the same thing but is made up of the same letters (probably by some Scientist, Dr. or Researcher that was either too lazy or couldn't spell it out.) and my question is: is this NORMAL or just an ANOMALY??? :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::thinking::thinking::nerd::thumb2: Rick H.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
One that always puzzled me is ANOMALY. my dictionary (Webster's) says it's an abnormality. To me this suggests that the word abnormality was hacked to death years ago to create a slightly shorter version (for what ever purpose) that not only means the same thing but is made up of the same letters (probably by some Scientist, Dr. or Researcher that was either too lazy or couldn't spell it out.) and my question is: is this NORMAL or just an ANOMALY??? :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::thinking::thinking::nerd::thumb2: Rick H.

Anomaly is a descendant of the Greek word anōmalos,
First seen in 1603.

History and Etymology for abnormal
First seen used in 1817.

So we can conclude that anomaly is not derived from abnormality. There, glad we've sorted that one out! lol

Who knew modelling could be so informative about language!? :smiling6: :smiling6: :smiling6: PS there ain't nothin' normal here!

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
;) Can't IMHO believe we've missed.....

IMHO = in my humble opinion.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I haven't yet, no. I do like the look of their kits though, so may well do.
I am stubbornly resisting the urge to buy more kits for now, as I have a large inherited stash already.
The thing is, none of them are less than 40 years old, so, yeah. Dragon are tempting. As long as my willpower lasts...
Dale your life of modelling is far from complete. If you like guessing games, like part no's that are given but not on the sprue. Strange instructions done by a group of designers writing in Chinese and having a Google translation that is literal.Other than that not bad kits .:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
ETO - european theatre of operations ( ww2)
MTO - meditteranean theatre of operations ( ww2)
PTO - pacific theatre of operations( ww2)
SEAC- south east asia conflict ( vietnam )