Absolute beginner: Need a few pointers

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I've posted these sorts of comments on previous threads, I think they will help you, have a look (who me? big headed?!) and apologies to anyone who's tired of seeing them

Sable brushes, such as Winsor & Newton #7 are reckoned to be some of the best available, but I've changed to W&N Sceptre Gold 11 which are a synthetic-sable mix. They are a bit more robust, and cheaper, but give very similar results; in fact I now prefer them to pure sable

I have also bought a mixed pack from www.abcbrushes.com - good quality and reasonably priced

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko, I'd be interested in your process for brush painting with Tamiya paints.
  1. Open the bottle.
  2. Stir the paint with an ice lolly stick that has anywhere between no and thirty years’ worth of paint on it already.
  3. Scrape the stick along the rim of the bottle to get as much paint back into the bottle as possible; using the brush to get paint off is also an option.
  4. Dip the brush into the paint.
  5. Smear paint onto the model with the brush until not enough paint comes out anymore, aiming for even coverage but not too thick.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the whole area to be painted is covered.
  7. If, after drying, the coverage isn’t enough, start back at 1. (Generally, less paint is needed this time round to get good coverage.)

The main problem I have with brushing Tamiya paints is, like I said, if the paint was opened a long time (several years) ago and has gone off a bit — it will usually be thicker than normal. Trying to paint with this can go quite well until you reach a bit that’s partially dried already, which’ll wipe off with the brush with fresh paint. The only real solution is to work fast, make sure you only paint wet-on-wet, and touch up after the paint has fully cured.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Don't forget folks, our 'Boss' John has an excellent selection of very well priced brushes here in the Scale Models Shop.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Jakko. :smiling3:

Thought you might have some special technique or magic, guess it's that easy. I've never been able to brush it on as well as I can airbrush it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thought you might have some special technique or magic, guess it's that easy.
I don’t know why I don’t have problems with it but some other people do — all I’ve ever done is paint with it like I painted with other paints, and it worked fine.