Academy 1/144 Panavia Tornado GR Mk1 "Mig Eater" (another one)!

W

wanna_be_aviator

I'm still dealing with the teeny weenie models and I just churned another one out of the shop. Yep, it's another challenging little Academy kit, a Tornado this time. I wish they would follow the same quality standard they put on their bigger scale kits. There were some issues with the nose shape and weapons supplied, all wrong. The nose I couldn't fix, or else, I wouldn't, just got too lazy. But before that I manage to scratch build the cockpit (which you won't notice anyway), the ECM pod, the chaff dispenser, the Paveways with the belly pylons and the drop tanks. I also borrowed some Sidewinders and pylons from another kit to make the insectly beastly little thing look really mean. The decals are the dear old Academy stuff, somewhat out of register. They were forced into subjection with no silvering this time using some floor wax (aka Future). And folks, sorry for the pictures, some day I'll get the hang of it, but I can swear to you the model looks much better in real life (lame excuse). I love the Tornado and specially the ones that operated in the Gulf War I. Maybe some day I'll build one for real, in some real deal scale. Enough talk. Cheers.

View attachment 30265View attachment 30266View attachment 30267View attachment 30269View attachment 30268View attachment 30270

View attachment 35459

View attachment 35460

View attachment 35461

View attachment 35462

View attachment 35463

View attachment 35464

S7306591.jpg

S7306580.jpg

S7306582.jpg

S7306594.jpg

S7306621.JPG

S7306626.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job marcos, and great scratchbuilding too! The gulf tornadoes and other desert pink gulf jets, all look great dont they, im hoping to one day do one in 1/48 to go with my jaguar and buccaneer. If you fancy doing another tornado, the later revell 1/144 boxings are excellent ,with detail to shame many a 1/72 kit! Top work mate,! cheers tony

W

wanna_be_aviator

Didn't we have a Gulf War GB sometime in the past? Might have missed it. Some of the best aircraft tech was put to use in those days, the "precision strike" era, not sure if that's what's called. But for sure IMO the best looking aircrafts of that time were British, with their desert pink camo scheme.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What a lovely little build. 1/144 is a scale I try to avoid like the pest. Having seen this, and the comments on the Revell 1/144's I might just give one a go.

Top work Marcos.

Ian M

PS T'was I that moved your thread to the aircraft section, as you had posted it in the Group Build forum. As far as I am aware, there has not been a Gulf War GB, but there could easily be one if there is enough interest....

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A mini Mig Eater, cool !! Single colour models do present some challenges, but it looks like you cracked this one. Nice job.

Colin M..........