Academy 1/32 Hornet Cannopy

P

p6v8man

Hi everyone,

I need help if possible. I was painting the cannopy for the above model and had put it down for the paint to dry when my grandson came along and tried out his hand at diy... The end result is that i ended up with both parts covered in paint and fingerprints. I have cleaned it off but I now have a sort of smear over the plastic. Does anybody know of a technique I can try to get them both back clear again or should I cut my losses and try to get another cannopy from academy?

Any advice would be greatfuly appreciated. :emo10:

N

Nigel.D

You can try polishing with duraglit metal polish or failing that a good bicarb toothpaste! then dip it in johnsons clear and you should have your canopy crystal again

B

Bunkerbarge

Using the correct thiners should have removed the paint and left the plastic untouched but if you have a marring of the surface then it will have to be physically repaired.

The only way I know is to use a series of very fine wet and dry emery papers to polish the blemish out.

I would start with about a 600 grade and slowly increase to a 2000 grade. These papers are not generally available in your average Halfords but look in the net for car paint suppliers. I have got loads of the dam stuff at home so if you can't find any and you can wait two weeks let me know.

Anyway you very gently rub out the blemish with the wet and dry, slowly changing to a finer grade when you are sure that the surface is ready.

You should be able to achieve a failry passable finish with just the paper but when you have done finish off with dipping the canopy in a container of Future Floor Polish, let it drain and the acrylic finish will restore the final shine to it.

P

p6v8man

Hi Nigel and Richard,

Thank you for your advice. I will try Nigel's remedy first and if need be then Richard's. I did get in touch with Academy's main supplier for the UK and you might want to take note of this for a future reference. If you have a damaged or missing part contact Toyway of Letchworth Tel 01462 672509. If they can't get a part to you they send off a list to Academy's H.O. on the LAST DAY of every month. So you may have to wait two or three weeks but it may be worth it!

I will let you know how I get on with my little disaster.

B

Bunkerbarge

I would test the Duraglit on a sample of sprue first as the abrasives are disolved in an amonia based carrier.

It may also be worth trying the toothpaste on a sample of some suitable material as the abrasive particles in that are more abrasive than 2000 grit Wet and Dry.

Finally I would experiment with all possibilities before you commit to the canopy.