Academy 1/35 AH1-z Viper 'Shark Mouth'

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Replacement gun? Is the given poor or wrong? German Marines? Didn't know they had assault ships. Will that be the carrier deck you refer to? Excellent choice of model-looks great. PaulE

The gun barrels look quite chunky compared to the real thing and Master Models replacement set;

master models gun.JPGAH-1-Cobra-Machine-Gun.jpg

Vipers are embarked on these beasts when needs arise;

1200px-USS_Saipan_LHA-2_amphibious_assault_ship.jpg
Landing helicopter assault (LHA) is the United States Navy's hull classification symbol for the general purpose helicopter-carrying amphibious assault ships of the Tarawa and America classes.

Last edited:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got the MFD's scaled down to 5mm as measured on the model, so I will print off and test fit tonight, if the size is okay i will then get them printed at Max Spielmann as a 6" x4" photo (only costs 45p or something like that). Printing them on photographic paper will then give them a gloss sheen,waterproof and i can glaze them with some white glue without fear of the paper versions Disintegrating !

mfd left rear.jpgmfd right front.jpgmfd right rear.jpgmfd left front.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s pretty much what I had in mind too :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Can't beat turned metal for gun barrels. Looks great. PaulE

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Pilots inbound from Japan, a lot quicker than the 4-6 week back order, but i aint complaining;

pilots inbound.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
That was a good idea of Jakko's. Certainly worth remembering. You look to have it sorted.
Jim

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work. That gun is a definite improvement.

D

Deleted member 6559

A great idea and looks to be working well Steve - definitely one to remember.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well, that was an interesting couple of hours. Fiddly doesn't even come close when putting the brass gun together. Building the sub pieces was straight forward enough, bit of bluetack to hold things in place and a drop of superglue and they were done fairly quickly. Putting it all together, now thats a different story. I blutacked the base down, put the barrels on and slipped over the centre guide, that was okay, trying to get the end piece on was a nightmare, every time i got one barrel lined up the other one or two would move. After a lot (a very lot) of goes, i got the end plate on the end of the guns. I picked the whole thing up to glue the rears into the base and the front slipped off, not enough glue or rushing. So it was back to square one. Finally got it all together at midnight, 3 hrs after i started and then noticed the front bolt had gone !!, so had to cut a barrel tip of the kit and use that instead !.
2.jpg3.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

I was dreading the one I put together for my A-10 but like yours, it was worth the effort.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got the gun housing completed and fitted the brass barrel, looks very smart so worth the effort i think.
g1.jpg

With the TSS Turret, i added a couple of micro magnets, so i can get the fuselage glued together and concentrate on detailing the turret at a later date, if i so decide, either way makes painting the body easier.

g3.jpgg2.jpg

Dry fitted to the body;

g4.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Looks very good. The magnets are a clever idea.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Magnets? That's a cunning plan!
Pete