Academy 1/48 F4J Phantom

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This will be my last build for a while. We get the keys to my new home in a few weeks and it will be a little while before my new man-cave is ready, probably in the garage.

This is a really nice kit, good engineering and generally a good fit. My 'mojo' was low on this one so I spent a lot longer than I should. This was not the kits fault as I had no massive issues, there are a lot of small parts that seem a bit brittle and vulnerable so there was a fair bit of repair work as the build progressed but nothing that gave me any real problems. The mojo problem was nothing to do with the subject matter either because though I prefer WW2 subjects the F4 is my favourite post-war jet, there is just something I love about its look. No, the mojo issue is because as I get older and more crotchety I really am not motivated by these 1/48 scale or smaller kits. They just do not have the visual impact you get in 1/32 or 1/24.

When HK Models release their Spey Phantom in 1/32 I will be getting it for sure! if they do a Buccaneer as well in 1/32 then I will be in jet heaven.

Anyway to this build - I am wondering if being used to WW2 I have weathered this a bit too much. Nevertheless I quite like the result.

The paints are the AK Interactive Air Series acrylics, with some Vallejo for detail while the metallics were AKI Extreme Metal metalisers, I love these far better than any other metalisers I have tried. I also used some AKI True Metal for detail and AKI weathering washes/pigments.

Enjoy the pics.

F4J1.jpg

F4J4.jpg

F4J7.jpg

F4J8.jpg

F4J9.jpg

F4J10.jpg

F4J11.jpg

F4J12.jpg

F4J2.jpg

F4J3.jpg

F4J5.jpg

F4J6.jpg

F

Fenlander

This is fantastic Barry, I don't think it is over weathered at all. As you say, this is a classic aircraft and possibly the last one that had a distinct character. Modern jets are like hatchbacks, they all look similar.

Good luck with the move and show us your new cave when you get set up.

D

dubster72

I'm with Graham, the weathering is subtle yet very effective. Definitely my favourite post-war jet & you've done it proud :smiling3:

P

Polux

Wow! What a nice build!

Looks really fine to me.

Good luck!! I hope to see you showing these excellent models very soon, Barry ;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thank you for your comments

I should add that one thing I loved about this kit was the quality of the decals, a good thing as there are a lot of them and some are large compkex shapes. There was no cracking or tearing at all no matter how much time I spent adjusting them into position. Tamiya and others like Trumpeter in particular could learn a lot about how to produce decals from Academy.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb Barry, great finish!

0ne48thtel

As always Barry another top build mate and good luck with the move.

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
That is absolutely cracking Barry I've got the eduard good morning da nang kit and if I can get it half as good as that I'll be happy want to do mine in the jolly Rogers livery also

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very nice spook barry, cheers tony

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Very nice Barry, love the jolly Rodgers scheme! Had one of these when I was a kid, along with the f14 sundowners I loved them. I think the weathering is fine by the way, great build!

Phil

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I am wondering if being used to WW2 I have weathered this a bit too much. Nevertheless I quite like the result.
Weathered just right in my opinion. No working Naval aeroplane is clean all of the time, the F-4 in particular was often seen with soot, grime, and dirt all over it. Great job Barry. Enjoy the new home when you get to move in.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's beautiful - and it certainly doesn't show any signs of your less-than-usual enthusiasm!

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
cracking looking phantom love the look of these and you have nailed it really like the colour of the rear end

J

John Rixon

Wow, good work! Fantastic finish and detailing. A pair of these used to fly over our house every hour or so, when as a child, we lived in the flight-path of Bentwaters, in Suffolk. The noise was indescribable!