Academy 1/48 Hughes 500D TOW Helicopter

B

Builder

Hi All,

This is my completed Academy 1/48 Hughes 500D.

This was a very cheap kit, but it built up well. It was difficult to deal with all the clear parts as I had to be very careful. I tried some shading but trying to do that whilst making sure all clear parts and delicate parts were masked or out of the way was too difficult. I chose the Israeli Scheme as it was simple and sometimes simple is what I like. I did not want the chore of painting a camo over this delicate model.

The model was painted with Humrol and Tamiya enamels. Minimal weathering, being only some panel lines being highlighted with Tamiya Panel line Accent, Vallejo washes, and a Copic Multiliner pen. Some pigments were used with Tamiya Weathering master as well.

I just wanted to build a clean model, to try to make sure I make no mistakes. The wings and TOW launchers were very difficult to get into position and I think they are not perfect, but they will do. The decals were very bad, usually I use everything on my decals to make sure they do not silver, being gloss coat underneath, setting solutions etc, but it didnt work in this case. Overall I am happy with the result. A very fidly kit to build, but enjoyable nonetheless.
As always I am not concerned with historical accuracy, only with the build and the finish and so am quite happy. I hope you all enjoy the video and the photos.