Academy 1/72 F-104G Starfighter

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi everyone,

With a project on hold and having a long weekend, this one was pulled from the stash:
20200618_114701_resized.jpg
Surprised to find a different set of decals than the box-art, but at €9 it was planned as a test kit for a Hataka paintset anyway as I have one for the Dutch F104’s:smiling:
Looking on the net, I found that this one 23+25 is a German navy one with an airforce type splinter scheme, as most of the navy ones have a grey upper colour.

Even with the putty and sanding routine for each major joint, the simplicity and low parts count made quick progress yesterday:
20200618_171623_resized.jpg
20200618_171631_resized.jpg
Yes, no wheel wells but that doesn’t matter for this painting exercise.
The fins of the drop-tanks were sanded to be less battleship armour plate and more thin fin:
20200618_125700_resized.jpg
After a good days work, I ended with a little unmanned missile ready for paint:smiling4::
20200619_065025_resized.jpg
The pilot is an odd blob, so I'll keep the simple block empty:
20200619_065103_resized.jpg
Thanks for looking in.

Fernando

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I always wanted one of those, but I can’t afford a piece of land in Germany :sad:

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
oh will keep an eye on this one as a Starfighter has always been on the Want to Build List

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
I always wanted one of those, but I can’t afford a piece of land in Germany :sad:
Think they’ll send you back if you’re purse isn’t big enough Jakko;)
oh will keep an eye on this one as a Starfighter has always been on the Want to Build List
Can’t recommend this one Warren unless you find it really cheap like for a fiver or such, best look for an Italeri or Revell one in this scale, they have better detail and decals.
Found that 1/72 is a pretty good size for having a bash at camoschemes and doesn’t take up much room afterwards
I find it strange that the German Navy used these. Imagine trying to put one down on an aircraft carrier ! People with raised eyebrows, it's ok, I know.......
Lol, if one can land a C-130 on a deck and take off, this one can try too it even has a tailhook:tongue-out3:

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening everyone,

Been a busy boy last week and in all my jazz I forgot to post an update…:rolling:

Got all the Hataka colours on and found them a bit too dark, it matches some of the ref I got but the gut feeling says otherwise, maybe I’ve seen too much of the old stuff at the NMM Soesterberg:
20200624_211520_resized.jpg
20200624_211534_resized.jpg
(yes an Eduard instruction was used for the painting and decals as the kit supplied is nearly unreadable)
Will get me some other small ones to test out some ideas I got regarding the colours before using it on the bigger and expensive ones in the stash.
Also found out I need to shake the Hataka much more than the Vallejo or Gunze paints, otherwise a bit of grainy finish will appear…

Decals were a thing to work with, but soo stiff they didn’t conform to a panel line even with the MicroSet and Sol combo:
20200628_213028_resized.jpg
20200628_213053_resized.jpg
The panel lines are very shallow too and almost all decals are out of register, nice from 3 feet not when closer

Anyway, gave it a wash afterwards followed by a coat of matt and called it finished:
20200629_164715_resized.jpg
20200629_164725_resized.jpg
20200629_164736_resized.jpg
20200629_164751_resized.jpg
20200629_164806_resized.jpg
20200629_164826_resized.jpg

Thanks for looking in.
Fernando

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
When I was young, I noticed quite a few 'fast' jets had hooks - I won't say what I assumed !
Lol, me too, thought all could land on a carrier.
Later learnt it was for some emergency brake system on land… :rolling:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Fernando lovely model i saw a real german starfighter in these coluors up at our local RAF COLTISHALL in the sixties an me an my mate saw this one landing an loads of smoke comin from it an we see the crashbarrier rasie an thought oh this will be excitcting but the pilot mandaged to stop before he hit the barrier an the canopy was swung open an he got out an let himself down on the ground an lookin through binocs he was angry as he went to the back of the plane an kicked the bottom fuasealage an the parachute just dropped out on to the runway boy was he pi**ed off
chris

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
HI Fernando lovely model i saw a real german starfighter in these coluors up at our local RAF COLTISHALL in the sixties an me an my mate saw this one landing an loads of smoke comin from it an we see the crashbarrier rasie an thought oh this will be excitcting but the pilot mandaged to stop before he hit the barrier an the canopy was swung open an he got out an let himself down on the ground an lookin through binocs he was angry as he went to the back of the plane an kicked the bottom fuasealage an the parachute just dropped out on to the runway boy was he pi**ed off
chris
Great story Chris, not so great workmanship it seems:smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
WELL i really like your model but on the real plane they called them the widow maker dint they as they crashed quite a few
That’s what my joke about German land was referring to :smiling3: (Apparently, in 1970s Germany the joke went around: “What’s the quickest way to get a Starfighter? Buy a piece of land and wait for one to crash on it.”)