Academy 1/72 F-51D Mustang

B

Bari

Having finished the Eurofighter I thought I would take this to France with me and have a bash at it in between looking after the chickens and the cat. I thought one in Korean markings would make a change. It also comes complete with a jeep.

001.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Generally nice kits the Academy stuff. This should be good.

B

Bari

OK, arrived in France and am deep in the countryside about 60 miles south of Caen. I have made a start and have now come to a grinding halt. Having got to the stage of painting the instrument panel and all the nice little details on the sides of the cockpit I have found that I didn't bring my magnifying equipment and my reading glasses are not up to the job of seeing the really fine detail. This means I have had to stop and transfer my attention to checking the quality of Normandy cider and cheese. Needless to say I am heartbroken but I will soldier on valiantly........

I have taken a couple of photos I am trying a different method of showing the panel lines. I don't like heavy ones so I have done a pin wash in diluted oil paint and hopefully when I spray the metalic colour I will be able to do it lightly enough just to have a hint of the panel lines. Worth a go anyway.

IMG_0001 (1).JPG

IMG_0002 (1).JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
n the sides of the cockpit I have found that I didn't bring my magnifying equipment and my reading glasses are not up to the job of seeing the really fine detail. This means I have had to stop and transfer my attention to checking the quality of Normandy cider and cheese. Needless to say I am heartbroken but I will soldier on valiantly........
Appreciated that you are taking one for the team Barry :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I'm gutted for you barry , having to endure cider and cheese sessions it must be hell , believe me when i say i would make the sacrifice and swap places gladly to save you.! :D :D:D . the panel line solution sounds promising , like yourself I'm not a fan of overdone washes especially in the smaller scales ,it can make a model look very toy like. In cases like this and the airfix sabre i recently did the lines alone create enough of a shadow to make them noticeable , cheers tony

B

Bari

Its been a very hard morning. I have fed the chickens, had to have a stern word with them about the lack of egg laying. Now after a lovely Sunday dinner and a couple of glasses of red I am sprawled out in front of a roaring log fire. I did have a thought about borrowing the other half's bifocals to see if I could see the small detail but it was only a fleeting thought. Lots of WW2 history around here. I was trundling along a little forest road just a few miles north of Alencon yesterday and came across a Sherman tank sitting in the middle of a small roundabout.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Its been a very hard morning. I have fed the chickens, had to have a stern word with them about the lack of egg laying. Now after a lovely Sunday dinner and a couple of glasses of red I am sprawled out in front of a roaring log fire. I did have a thought about borrowing the other half's bifocals to see if I could see the small detail but it was only a fleeting thought.
Thats the spirit Barry! its a dirty job but somebodys got to do it! -- if i were you I'd be doing exactly the same !! cheers tony

B

Bari

i couldn't resist having a go at the cockpit detail so this is how it turned out. Not too bad except that the dark wash is a bit (lot) overdone, I should have thinned it much more. However its done now.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

B

Bari

Done a little bit more, got things buttoned up, The fit of the parts is quite good although one of the separate flaps is a little bit deformed and the wing roots need a little bit of filler. As the gap is small I have used tippex as this can be wiped away with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit which negates the need to sand and saves having to rescribe the panel lines.

013.jpg

014.jpg

B

Bari

Today we tried to spray the thing. I was not impressed, no matter what pressure I tried or thickness of paint it just kept beading up on the model like little raindrops. I am gradually changing over to other brands of paint but the only metallic's I have are Humbrol which I have never had much luck with. The really annoying part is that the paint mix I had for spraying although quite thin brushed on nicely.

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

This is the first thin coat, you can see most of the panel lines and I hope that one more thin coat will tone them down just right.

B

Bari

After a coat or future I have masked up a few panels in order to have them a different shade. The main colour is a mixture of silver and aluminium and then I dry brush the panels I have masked up several times over with chrome silver which just gives a slight change.

018.jpg

019.jpg

I have now called this finished and have put some photos in the completed section.