Academy 1/72 P-40E Warhawk, "Aleutian Tiger"

• Thread starter wanna_be_aviator
  • Start date
W

wanna_be_aviator

View attachment 45841View attachment 45842View attachment 45843

I've finished this model a few weeks ago, which was a Christmas gift from my 8 year old son. The cool thing about it is that he decided he was going to buy it with his own money, so he started his own "business" in order to raise the funds. As he was very successful in that, we went out together someday before Christmas and picked up a kit within his budget. His goal was to get me a Sopwith Camel he saw on the Internet, but we couldn't find it that day and ended up settling for the P-40. I tried my best to do justice to such special gift, and since he's no rivet counter he is really happy with the results.

The Academy kit was quite nice to build and I can't account for any problem. Not getting into accuracy issues related to the kit, i'm not at that level yet. The only thing I didn't like so much was the fit of the canopy which leaves a considerable step at the join with the fuselage. Such step actually exists on the real a/c but it's not as noticeable. Other than that it went sailing smooth even without any filling or sanding.

The chosen scheme (again after consulting my two sons who are experts in all things "cool") was the Aleutian Tiger 49 and because in real life those planes were placed in such a rough environment I tried not to go too easy on the weathering. Pre shading was done with permanent markers (not recommended) and blotches of dark earth over medium gray primer, which was also the underside color. Tamiya acrylics OD on top and that was it. Lots of chiping and scuff marks with three different types of Humbrol Metalcote (i'm a fan now) and black pastel / watercolors for fumes and grime. I was specially happy with the cockpit which was nicely detailed and dry-brushed really nice, but sadly nothing can be seen from the outside. Would have been nice if the kit provided an open canopy option. Made a tiny harness with buckles and all for the seat and added some wiring to the landing gear. So there you have it. Comments, please. Cheers!

View attachment 45833View attachment 45834View attachment 45835View attachment 45836View attachment 45837View attachment 45838View attachment 45839View attachment 45840

View attachment 48894

View attachment 48895

View attachment 48896

View attachment 48897

View attachment 48898

View attachment 48899

View attachment 48900

View attachment 48901

View attachment 48902

View attachment 48903

View attachment 48904

p-40_01.jpg

p-40_02.jpg

p-40_03.jpg

p-40_04.jpg

p-40_05.jpg

p-40_06.jpg

p-40_07.jpg

p-40_08.jpg

Aleutians011.jpg

P-40_001.jpg

343rdFGAdakSpring1943001a-1.jpg

M

mobear

fantastic little aircraft well played mate,love the weathering looks really good

mobear

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Marcos. That's a bit strange about the canopy. I built the 1:72 Academy P40M which did have a canopy in separate parts - it must have been a newer kit.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Marcos, I like the weathering effects. I see the step at the canopy, it's not too obvious.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Super job marcos, great weathering! Its a brilliant little kit isnt it. Im a bit confused though, you say there wasnt an option for the canopy to be open? I did this kit a while back and the canopy was seperate so you can have it open or closed, maybe academy revised the moulds? You can see on the pic , in the instructions under the left wing the canopy is in seperate pieces. cheers tony

View attachment 48916

P1050744 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

W

wanna_be_aviator

Thanks for the comments! Indeed the kit offers a separate canopy and there would be an option for an open canopy but that in practical terms is not feasible. You must do a very delicate type of surgery on the sides of the fuselage in order to make the second canopy part fit properly. The part itself isn't wide enough to cover the aft part of the copckip into the fuselage. How did you do it with yours? I really wanted to show off the cockipt as it comes out really nice on this kit.