Academy 1/72 Spitfire Mk XIVc

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Two on the go, awesome. Looks like a reasonably nice kit Patrick. Much nicer than any Starfix offering ;)

D

dubster72

Ha-ha well now I know to avoid Starfix kits! ;)

The panel lines are very nicely engraved on this one - more Hasegawa than Airfix!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
another good pick,you going to combine the both,? ;)

A

AlasdairGF

Looks pretty good for 1/72, no fear. I guess though that the raised detail of that IP would lend itself to dry-brushing - even it it does seem to be looked at as a bit old-fashioned at times!

L

Laurie

Very nice Patrick. It is looking so good I assume you are using acrylics ;)

Laurie

D

dubster72

Alasdair, there's nothing wrong with drybrushing, especially in this scale!

Laurie - yep, those special acrylics that are thinned with white spirit.... ;)

Thanks Polux! :smiling3:

D

Doug Hughes

Looking good so far, Patrick. I'll keep an eye on this one as I fancy doing a Griffon-engine Spitfire myself some time. Watch out for those Academy decals - I've found them tricky in the past.

First Name
Aaron
How is that office not amazing? You're a maniac mate I can see the dial markings.

It looks great placed in the hull (aeroplane equivalent of hull) will the lid be open?

First Name
Jason
Sharp looking cockpit Patrick, some fine detail in there. Don't know how you do it though, giant sausage fingers make Braille scale nearly impossible for me!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Patrick. As Aaron said your cockpit looks good set up inside in the fuselage.

D

dubster72

Thanks Doug, I've heard that Academy decals can be difficult, so I'll be extra careful!

Aaron, the cockpit will be closed as the plan is to pose it ' in flight ' which is why I didn't bother too much with detailing the office.

Ha! Jason, with your skills I can see you doing great things in 1/72 ;)

Joe, the detail in the kit easily beats the Airfix new-tool Spits. You know the little circular covers along the front of the wings? Airfix have these

just as circles, whereas Academy show the fixings :smiling3:

So, a little update ...

Fuselage is joined to the wings. Everything fits well - I did mid-align the fuse & ended up doing a lot of filling & sanding :sad: Pilot is in

View attachment 97087

Primed & ready for painting

View attachment 97088

Underside painted

View attachment 97089

Thanks for looking

Patrick

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG