Academy Hawker Typhoon MkIb, 1:72

M

m1ks

Just started this earlier today, got a Typhoon and Tempest and was very pleased with the kit quality, it's excellently moulded, not a spot of flash, a few pin marks but they seem to be in unseen places, overall very very good.

Three sprues for the body and parts, one small clear sprue for the wing lights and canopy, (two piece).

Was going to shelve these while I got on with a bike i'm building but having looked at it again today I just wanted to dive in.

Cockpit binnacle, brush painted, black and drybrushed.

Seat, rudder pedals, flight yoke, brush painted and drybrushed.

Radiator, (will have an oil wash tomorrow)

Fuselage walls, don't know if the red and yellow handles are period accurate but I wanted a bit of colour and liked them. :smiling3:

Fuselage with radiator, binnacle, seat and controls and tailwheel assembled.

The distinctive front of the Typhoon which always made me think as a kid of a mouth going Ooooooh

Which is appropriate really 'cos you only get an Oooooh with Typhoo (n) :smiling3:

Fit of the parts is excellent, I may need a spot of filler on the wing roots at the front but will see how it dries, so far i'm delighted with this little gem of a kit, I can't believe i'd not heard good things about them before.

T

T. van Vuuren

Very glad to see these planes in action, I have been wanting to get a 72 tempest for my V-1 doodlebug.I am eager to see how it comes out.I assume there is no pilot figure?

Theuns

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've one of these in the stash. Will defo follow this build Mike. Lookin good so far :smiling3:

M

msm2

I must resist from buying one of these but saying that I have a few V1s in the stash. Pity there is no 1/18 scale ones.

Tony..

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks lovely.

Tony do you mean a 1/18th Typhoon? That would be a big model!

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

Theuns, no pilot figure with this one, (which has just reminded me I forgot to build a harness, darn, however the cockpit tub is very tight and enclosed which unfortunately hides much of the interior but will help cover the erroneous harness when i build it canopy open), if you want a pilot and you're like myself you'll probably have a few selct Airfix 1:72 pilots in the spares box.

Thanks guys, am looking forward to getting the paint on this one, primer today and am going to paint the identification stripes on rather than decal them I think.

A 1:18 Typhoon, now that would be huge, but i'd have one hanging from the ceiling :smiling3:

M

m1ks

Theres a 1:32 scale by MDC, review here by Brett Green.

Hawker Typhoon Mk.IB Review by Brett Green (MDC 1/32)

M

msm2

Looks very impressive kit. Following this now,may add one later to go with a V1.

Tony..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi mike , this looks like a super little kit. Ive done a few academy 1/72 kits (p40e ,wildcat and ive got the storch in the stash))and always found them to be excellent- great detail ,superb fit and finish , good decals and always value for money. Seeing this is making me want one of these too, like yourself ive always loved the big typhoon , looking forward to seeing this one progress, cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Got to admit the Academy's Typhoon is a gem and builds up nice too. Which one are you going for Mike, with or without the invasion stripes?

Have fun, John

M

m1ks

With, definitely with, but i'm going to cheat a little and have the 4 bladed prop on, (it was an emergency fitment and the only spinner available from the stores) :smiling3: that's my excuse.

Nothing further just yet as though I intended to clean up and prime today I saw the sun, (thought it was a rumour), and having not ridden any of my bikes for a few weeks just had to get my gear on and go for a ride and enjoy the dry weather and scenery.

Especially as i'm just about to pay for the insurance renewal.

T

T. van Vuuren

I actually don't have any 72 figures, but a mate has posted me some.Then I can get cracking with the Typhoon/V-1 build

Theuns

M

m1ks

Update:

Sorry for he wait guys, i'm not the quickest on a build as it's a case of squeezing bits in here and there.

Was painting some bike model bits with Metalcote polished aluminium and had a bit left in the cup, hmmm, I thought, the underwing wells for the undercarriage, that'll do nicely, so I sprayed em, had more than I thought in the cup and was about to decant back into the tinlet and thought, hmmm, leading edges of wings etc so i might scratch through a bit to show aluminium underneath, so I sprayed em, still more left in the cup, (I swear I didn't mix that much, the coverage of this stuff is pretty good, i reckon one tinlet could just about cover a small family car).

Anyway, long story slightly less long, here we have a fully primed Typhoon in alu metalcote.

Looking at it and pondering the next step while it dryed enough to buff up, 48hr curing then sprayed today.

Now pay attention folks, this is what happens if you get hiccups while spraying or thin your paint with fine grit!

No seriously, I'd been wracking my brains to utilise the undercoat as best as possible and not wanting the bulk to be wasted i remembered reading an article ina mag about salt weathering, a-ha I thought, (they'd been on the radio earlier and take on me was just stuck in my head), so last night as i'm about to go to bed, a quick detour to the kitchen for the salt tub and spray bottle and one crusty model follows.

Now I still have the band on the tail and ID stripes to mask and paint (camo was done freehand, with a 0.5mm needle / nozzle too so quite chuffed), as it can only be masked once. After that I can chip off the salt and see what occurs.

You may note a missing cannon tip on the starboard wing, they are a PITA, i think i've broken off and re-glued all of them at least once,one twice so far, that ones glued and setting, again, hopefully will get the band and stripes tomorrow and clearcoated for the decals this weekend.

MSM, no figures handy for that Dio, if you could supply an Angelina Jolie one with full leather option please? Size is 1:1, i'll be eagerly waiting by the letterbox.

Last edited:
M

msm2

Just phoned Ang and told her about the little scene,well for a small fee she will be there tomorrow in tight fitting leathers.Just make sure the door bell works!!!.

Tony..

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Just phoned Ang and told her about the little scene,well for a small fee she will be there tomorrow in tight fitting leathers.Just make sure the door bell works!!!.Tony..
You might at least have waited until he'd finished! I want to see the results of his experiment with the salt. If Ang does turn up it might be weeks before he's back in the right frame of mind!

Gern

M

m1ks

Weeks?, if she did turn up it could well be months :smiling3:

Beautiful, stunning looks and a pair of lips that look like they could suck start a leaf blower.

Aaaaaahhhh........

Where were we?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Have you taken that salt off yet? There looks to be quite a bit of it! I've never done the salt thing so I'm intrigued to see how it works.

Cheers

Steve