Academy M10 GMC 1/35 Scale Build

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hello there. This is a response from a thread entitled “Operable engine hatch hinges.” Jakko requested that I post some pictures of my work. The model is the U.S. Army M10 GMC (13288) offered by Academy.

I have the forward drivers compartment done and primed.
I have the bottom hull completed and half-primed.
And … I’m working on a repair.

I have been away from my hobby for far too long, I'm out of practice and I have a thick skin. So if you have suggestions, please feel free to post them.Academy USArmy M10 GMC 1_35_Scale.png

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The carpet monster ate the spare optics box that is positioned on the right-hand side of the cabin in front of where the secondary driver would sit so, I had to build that from scratch.IMG_1233.jpegIMG_1232.jpegIMG_1229.jpeg

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I’m not sure if the M10 had seat belts or not. I thought that it would have been a good idea to have had them. So I made some, anyway.IMG_1235.jpeg

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
And then disaster happened. I dropped my little chairs onto the floor and in the process of trying to find them, I managed to step on both of them. So, now I am getting a lesson in 2-part putty sculpting. The upper right chair was just finished this morning. I'm still waiting for the putty to set on the other. The chairs are not actually correct, to begin with. Both the M10 GMC and the M10 Achilles chairs mounted to the side of the hull - not to the floor as in this and in other kits. Maybe this would be a good time to play around with that idea. I see that Tamiya has a detail kit for the 1/48 scale M10 that has the correct chairs.
I found a link from M & M models that has a few good pictures of this kit at:

IMG_1264.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And then disaster happened. I dropped my little chairs onto the floor and in the process of trying to find them, I managed to step on both of them. So, now I am getting a lesson in 2-part putty sculpting.
Always fun ;)

Both the M10 GMC and the M10 Achilles chairs mounted to the side of the hull - not to the floor as in this and in other kits. Maybe this would be a good time to play around with that idea. I see that Tamiya has a detail kit for the 1/48 scale M10 that has the correct chairs.
The AFV Club kit has that detail right. The seat pillar is correct for some other types of M4 medium tank and derivatives, though — perhaps that’s what got Academy confused?

I found a link from M & M models that has a few good pictures of this kit at:
You meant:—
(the forum software mangles https:// into https:tongue-out3:/ because :/ is a shorthand for the smiley :/).

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I will look at the AFV kit. Thanks for the tip.

and I will pay attention to the smilie face / hyperlink issue!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steven,
Looking good. Bummer about the seats but the repair will look good.

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I believe that I have done all that I can do for these little chairs. I sanded the last one too thin and it cracked again but a quick dousing of CA saved it. The CA clean up was not fun but the chair is in one piece. In this photo, the chair on the right is the one that had the most damage and is being held together with putty and CA. The chair on the left only had a single break but it was a nasty one.photo7_backs1.jpeg

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The next picture is the same thing but with a little different angle where you can see how bad the break on the left was. I did my best to hide it and it looks better than it does in the picture so I'm hoping in the dark interior of my M10 it is not too distracting.photo8_backs2.jpeg

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The front of the left chair (which is the one on the right in the pictures above) shows the nasty break. There once was putty in that nasty gap in the fold of the chair but that went away in the sanding problem mentioned two pictures up. The right chair looks ok but one of my seat belts has been obliterated by sanding. At this point I'm happy to have to "things" that sort of look like chairs and I can now paint them and move on.photo9_fronts.jpeg

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
And I just broke the left one above removing it from the sticky Stix. Fixed by a piece of styrene melted into that ugly gap - at least I hope.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Glue them in the hull quickly so they’re out of harm’s way :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its been a tough build so hopefully things will get easier for you soon.

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Its been a tough build so hopefully things will get easier for you soon.
It's already starting to look better. I took Jakko's advice and got the chairs "out-of-the-way" and everything is progressing nicely. I'll post more pictures soon.