Tony
Thanks for the encouragement Andy.

Tony.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Oooo Bugger, I think I've just ruined the canopy.

I masked the canopy and used the Wilkinson primer and then painted over that with my Tamiya acrylic, looked nice, but when I took the masking off, I found that the primer had blown under the canopy edge and got onto the inside surface, I had put some masking tape on the inside and stuck it down to a piece of newspaper with some blutack. :poster_oops:

I tried to scrape it off with a toothpick but it's stuck fast. the more I tried the worse the clear parts looked. Also the Tamiya topcoat started to come off, even though I had let it dry for 24 hours.

OK, Tamiya acrylic paint is rubbish for brush painting, learn't that lesson now.

Live and learn. I'll complete this as best I can, but I've lost all enthusiasm for it.

Tony.

ps sorry about rubbish photos too:whatever:

View attachment 40845

View attachment 40846

View attachment 40847

P38 005.jpg

P38 006.jpg

P38 004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
And it was going so well. All is not lost. Now I can't help you personally (I've not been in this situation yet) but I remember someone on this forum using either (or maybe both) brasso / toothpaste to polish a canopy. So if this is correct, you could use some pretty tough paint remover, just white spirit etc - what ever you need to remove the paint you used, and then restore the canopy by polishing. This sounds like a job for google ! Good luck. oh yes, what about a vacform replacement canopy ?

Colin M........

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks Colin.

Was really p****d off when I found out what I had done.

Lots of gnashing of teeth and hair pulling :fool:.

But gonna use this as a learning.

Move on and do better next time.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Tony that really bites the big one,maybe a clear alternatives a/m replacement is in order they are easy to find on evil bay. I too have heard that you can polish them back out with brasso but have'nt tried it.

V

Vajled

or try sanding with sandpaper 2000 minimum, and after that... tuth paste and brush with some good quality cotton