Academy Spitfire XIVc 1/72 - nearly finished...

M

munkster

Have to say I am quite pleased with myself after stripping an abortive first airbrush attempt of this little beauty and starting again. After my exploits with the 1/48 F-15 Eagle I was anxious to try and not make the same mistakes again and can definitely say that I've learned a lot from even just one model... Anyway, just waiting on a resin propellor and engine kit (after the "carpet monster" swallowed one bank of exhausts...) then it'll be done...

Any comments, as always, welcome!

View attachment 27054 View attachment 27055 View attachment 27056 View attachment 27057 View attachment 27058

Used the Lakeland "Quick Shine" stuff as a Klear substitute, really worked much better brushed on, which was a revelation, then used Promodeller "Dark Dirt" weathering gunk to try and add some character.

Am now definitely thinking in terms of a 1/48 Spitfire since this was really pleasurable to build :smiling:

View attachment 32930

View attachment 32931

View attachment 32932

View attachment 32933

View attachment 32934

spit5.jpg

spit3.jpg

spit1.jpg

spit2.jpg

spit4.jpg

B

Boldman

Very nice - I can't bear the thought of doing 1:72 scale anymore my eyesight is just too poor to cope nowadays! 1:48 is small enough for me thank you very much ;)

P

pointblank0

Very impressive, and on such a small scale. My eyes can't handle that anymore either. Top job

B

Bunkerbarge

I can't believe how much detail you can get into 1/72nd nowadays. I still think back to my last Spit which must have been an Airfix one in the seventies so can see quite a difference. Lovely job and a great finish with soft edged camoflage, at 1/72nd that is quite something.

M

munkster

Awww, cheers guys. Have to say that without the encouragement of the people on here and seeing what you're all capable of I wouldn't have persevered to do as well as I could so thanks to you lot too!

Incidentally the "soft edged" camo is more by luck than judgement - my blu tak skills aren't quite as good as they could be - so it's quite soft in places but hard edged in others... All good fun though, cheers all, Rob.

ps - resin kit has come in the post today, all very exciting!

M

munkster

pps - just trying to make sense of how to use the resin bits so went to the website of the company who make them - good lord, look at this Spitfire Mk.XIV now THAT'S detail in 1/72 isn't it! Not sure how they've managed to the removeable panels on the wings, that's some skill if it IS the 1/72 and not a larger scale and they've mis-categorised it...

B

Boldman

I don't believe that is 1/72 looks more like 1:48 to me

M

munkster

Nearly there... Just need to weather the nose and cement the miniscule rear view mirror then we're done!!

Resin bits worked out pretty good I think.

View attachment 27164

ps - that isn't meant to be a diorama it's sitting on by the way - it was just getting dark so took a pic where it was sitting - will take some better pics when it's light! :lala:

View attachment 33019

spit6.jpg

Last edited:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Love the camo that's usually the part where I get frustrated and can't do on the model what I can see in my mind, great job

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice result Munkster,

I've done a couple of small Academy kits and for the price found them to be excellent. Now I'm not sure, photo's can be deceiving, but have you got the landing gear mixed up or have Academy done something wrong with the kit ? Spitfire gear normally points forward a touch, not to the rear as these do.

Regards

Colin m....

M

munkster

Shhhhhh Colin!!! Yes, I managed to get the landing gear back to front. But don't tell anyone!!! :shhhh:

(Basically I realised too late after I'd stuck one of the landing gear to the covers - with superglue - and there was no going back - still, another lesson learned, one of many!!!!)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Sorry, no one noticed, they're all at Cosford..............

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hej Munkster, Now about those legs... You have as you have self admitted put them on the wrong side. If you have used normal glue to stick them on with, you can normally un-glue them with liquid poly. The glue dissolves faster than plastic its just a case of put the liquid glue on and wiggle and pull gently as the glue dissolves. Otherwise you are just gluing them even more!!!

As for the u/c doors, as you have used super glue, they should be easy to remove. Super glue is very brittle and a quick prod with a knife between leg and door should see them fly across the room, so be ready.

Its a shame when the legs get mixed up and I am sure a lot of us have tried it at least once, myself included!!!

Other than that its a super little build and you should be proud of it!

Oh! That link you posted, it is 1/72 and is the same kit that you built. He has just used a lot more time, money and nerve medicine than you did. Lol. Its is an impressive little model though isn't it!!!

Ian M

M

munkster

Cool, cheers. When I'm feeling brave I may attempt to sort out my Spit's legs then... I've just taken delivery of a 1/48 ICM Spitfire XVI however so that may get my attention before any remedial work on the littl'un...