Acrylic matt varnish?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
What is the most 'matt' matt acrylic varnish? I've been using Vallejo so far, but occasionally it seems to have a sheen to it. I'd be both brush & airbrush applying.
I know new products come on the market all the time, and I wondered if anyone had found a particularly matt product?
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m quite happy with the Army Painter matt varnish I bought last year. It comes in dropper bottles like Vallejo’s, and is very matt. No idea how it sprays, though, as I’ve not tried that.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I use Hannants Matt. Dilute it with 15% tap water if you need to. Its able to be brush or sprayed on. I find it a very good matt. Way better than Vallejo

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally I find a Tamiya Matt varnish good when sprayed. I haven’t found any particularly good when brushed, so might give the Daler Rowney a try....apparently AK make an ultra Matt varnish, so might be worth trying that one.....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another vote for Galeria. It looks too thick to spray, but goes on very well. I use a 0,2mm nozzle at about 18 psi.
Pete

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I'm using "Mig Lucky varnish - ultra matt 60ml", needs to be aplied in multiple thin layers. I find it very good but it needs to harden 1 or 2 days otherwise the surface feels like velour...
Steven

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dave,
AK interactive AK 183 Ultra Matte Varnish. It will spray or brush on.
Dries totally matt, no or very little odour, check out my Comet in the armoured vehicles completed section, I used it on it.
Mike.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks for all your inputs, I've ordered some AK Ultra Matt ( & some other AK bits ) from John....................
Dave

D

Deleted member 5496

Thanks for all your inputs, I've ordered some AK Ultra Matt ( & some other AK bits ) from John....................
Dave

The best I have found Dave is Vallejo matt. They do an acrylic, polurethene & an acrylic/polyurethene.

The best is the acrylic/polyurethene. Takes a fraction more time to cure. It gives a superb finish
plus it is very hard & durable.

Laurie

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Another W&S Galeria user here. :smiling3:

I also usually use it neat but recently read it can be thinned 50/50 with IPA. Going to give that a go and see if it makes any difference.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
I'm with Mr Day on this - the Daler Rowney artists' Matt varnish is the mattest matt I've found, and is brilliant for getting the look of fabric at scale. I've only ever used it with a brush though.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave you won't go wrong with the Ultra, would advise a really good stir and shake. I've tried just about every one, Galeria is good as well .
I strain mine now through a old pop sock stolen from Mrs R:smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’d like to try the Daler Rowney, but it appears there are several types...can someone post a picture of the bottle so I buy the right one.....
cheers
tim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just ordering some AK Ultra too on the back of this thread to see what it's like. I do like my Hannants Matt so it'll be interesting to do a side by side test.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 4539

Daler Rowney Soluble Matt Acrylic Varnish.
Tried a fair few but this is the best for me.I only use it through an airbrush.