Acrylic matt varnish?

D

Deleted member 5496

What do you use to thin it, water or IPA?

Andy.
Well as IPA is a great paint stripper it depends on the paint film.

Question to be asked why do you need to thin. If you use any of the Vallejo varnishes you airbrush straight from the bottle.
I would have thought that water could provide air bubbles. If airbrushing best to use a product prepared for just that.

As always best to consult the manufacturer.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 7917

Daler Rowney Soluble Matt Acrylic Varnish.
Tried a fair few but this is the best for me.I only use it through an airbrush.
For those of you that use this matt product, which gloss varnish do you prefer? The Daler Rowney or some other product? Like others, I apply two or more gloss coats before applying decals then apply a satin or matt varnish to suit. After a number of mishaps I prefer not to mix brands when doing so.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
For gloss i still use Klear. I mix and match brands and have never had a problem.

D

Deleted member 4539

For those of you that use this matt product, which gloss varnish do you prefer? The Daler Rowney or some other product? Like others, I apply two or more gloss coats before applying decals then apply a satin or matt varnish to suit. After a number of mishaps I prefer not to mix brands when doing so.
Hi Murfie.
For gloss I always use Tamiya x22 clear but I only use it through an airbrush.

D

Deleted member 6559

As a figure painter I don't use much other than the matt varnish. However for a soft sheen on leather and a high shine on cap peaks etc I use Vallejo Model Colour Satin and Gloss - their Matt is hopeless though.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 5496

The best is Vellejo after trying others Andrew.

Not well known that Vellejo produce 3 types of varnish in all 3 types Matt Satin Gloss..

They produce
Acrylic
Polyurethane
Acrylic Polyurethane.

The best is undoubtedly Acrylic Polyurethane. But I only use the Matt which is matt matt.

For Gloss I use the Alclad 11. Had problems with lumps in all the Gloss types Vallejo types
above. Read that others have had the same experience. OK fresh but seems to deteriorate quickly
Alclad not a problem & thin compared to Vallejo

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Having ordered and finally used the AK Ultra Matt i can honestly says it does what it says on the bottle. Dries flatter than a flat thing on a flat day. Think this is my new best matt varnish.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Laurie about having lumps in, gone over to the Meka and the new AK Gen 3.
Watched a U Tube video yesterday where Mig Jimenez mentioned that spraying think coats will loose the mat finish, apply in very thin coats .

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I've been using Vallejo Mecha varnish and spray, Matt satin and gloss all seem to go on well and maintain their relevant sheens.