Acrylic or enamel?

K

Keithmayes

This is my first model and the paints needed were advised and they happened to be enamels. I started off with them but got fed up having to clean the brushes with thinners and stinking the house out. Also did not like the way they brushed on, a bit thick and sticky I felt. So I switched to acrylics and much prefer them, no mess, no smell and they go on easy with a nice finish. I invested a quid on a set of 3 plastic ice trays which make perfect mixing paint pots and great for squeezing out of the paint tubes into.

I have decided to stick with acrylics. How about others, what is your experience?

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I invested a quid on a set of 3 plastic ice trays which make perfect mixing paint pots and great for squeezing out of the paint tubes into.
Squeezing? Paint tubes? Interesting. I have never heard of anyone here using squeezable acrylics. What brand are they?

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I use Tamiya acrylics Keith ........ I only use enamel when I absolutely can't get the colour I need. Like the Dayglow Yellow I needed for the tank on my Valencia, Repsol Honda.....

View attachment 101106

DSCF0267.JPG

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
only time i use enamels is for precision tiny stuff, acrylics all the way for me...no smell, easy clean

you using artists acylics if its in a tube?

i use a little pallet with 5 recesses if i need to mix paint, but i line it with kitchen foil first....makes it easy to clean .....bin the foil and put some new on ;)

First Name
Dave
I use enamels and acrylics.I don't really have a preference.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Squeezing? Paint tubes? Interesting. I have never heard of anyone here using squeezable acrylics. What brand are they?
Daler Rowney system 3 original acrylic. 6x22 ml tubes assorted colours for £11.95. I bought them in an artist supplies shop. I am very pleased with them.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
I use Tamiya acrylics Keith ........ I only use enamel when I absolutely can't get the colour I need. Like the Dayglow Yellow I needed for the tank on my Valencia, Repsol Honda.....
Love the bike, great paint job.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I was an enamel person, but some years ago switched to acrylics, simply because I find acrylics easier to use (well, on the whole). But, I still do revert to enamel for a few certain colours .

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Love the bike, great paint job.
Thanks Keith ........ The Tank and Tail Unit took 10 coats, brushed (7 Clour and 3 Clear) to get the finish........ with each one flatted down with wet & dry.

Peter

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Thanks Keith ........ The Tank and Tail Unit took 10 coats, brushed (7 Clour and 3 Clear) to get the finish........ with each one flatted down with wet & dry.
Peter
No wonder it looks so good, you put a lot of love into that machine.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
you using artists acylics if its in a tube?
Yes, artists acrylics in a tube, the shop is the only choice for miles around. As it happens I like the tubes, easier to open and cleaner to use than pots.

D

dubster72

Enamels, enamels, enamels!!

Although I do like Tamiya acrylics thinned with cellulose thinners, but getting exact colour matches is a PITA with ratios.

P

phikoleoputra

I used enamels all the time, just because that is the only thing available nearby me. The Tamiya acrylics never get well with me, so stick to tamiya or model master enamel

D

Dave Garrett

Revell Aqua Colour Acrylics work better for me and if i can't get the colour i need in the Revell i use Humbrol Acrylic the only time i use Enamel now is if i have to use a dayglo colour or a translucent colour. With the dayglo i use a white undercoat that brings out the colour for me just right

First Name
Aaron
Vallejo and tamiya for me mate. Tamiya are alcohol based even though they say acrylic but they spray really smooth. I even use cheap acrylics found in art shops.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Vallejo and AKI acrylics for me.

I just see all the mixing of artists tube acrylic as too much flaffing around.

K

Keithmayes

Thanks for all your responses. I see a lot of you use Vallejo acrylics and I get the distinct impressions that the majority on the forum consider them to be the best so I will definately try them next time. Cheers. Keith.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Thanks for all your responses. I see a lot of you use Vallejo acrylics and I get the distinct impressions that the majority on the forum consider them to be the best so I will definately try them next time. Cheers. Keith.
Keith

Vallejo are excellent but us the right type.

Vallejo Model Air are excellent for the airbrush and can be sprayed without thinning, ideally with a 0.3 or over needle. thin for smaller needles.

Vallejo Model Colour are for the hairy stick.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Keith
Vallejo are excellent but us the right type.

Vallejo Model Air are excellent for the airbrush and can be sprayed without thinning, ideally with a 0.3 or over needle. thin for smaller needles.

Vallejo Model Colour are for the hairy stick.
Thanks for that Barry, Vallejo Model Colour it is for me then as I only use a brush, total rubbish with a spray. Mind you I am not that good with a brush either.

A

Aurora

enamels are not good for health. they are toxic. that reason i prefer acrylics. i use gunze and (mostly)tamiya acrylics for airbrush, revell and (mostly)vallejo acrylics for brush