Acrylic paint on plastic - I think I'm missing something?

First Name
Johnny
Hello! First post!

I bought myself a model to assemble over the Christmas period - brand new to the hobby.
It's a Bandai 1:72 X-Wing - Clicks together, no glue, great starting point I thought.

I want to try and paint some parts before I get too far in and they become inaccessible.

I do a little painting already, so have access to W&N Oils and Acrylics.

The plan was to paint the model in Acrylics and then age and weather over the top with oil washes and scumbling etc.

The little man (Luke!) was fine to paint with Acrylics, but the smooth, shiny surfaces of the X-Wing are a different story!
The paint just puddles and beads and doesn't cover at all (thin coat with water and flow improver)
Too thick a coat and I lose the little panel lines, rivets and other fine detailing.

Do I need a primer of some sort (fine enough to not hide the details) or should I just switch to a solvent based set of materials?

Thank you in advance! I can see myself really getting caught up in this hobby!

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 23

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Did you degrease the model before painting it? Also sounds as if you might be trying to cover in one coat, you'll probably need at least threee.
Pete

Reactions: JR

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Johnny, welcome on this forum
Primer is an option but, first of all, try to wash your model with soap or a mild de-greaser (those used to clean dishes or forniture) as Peter suggested. A thin coat of releasing agent from the mold could create the trouble you mentioned.
If that is not the case and the model surface is already clean, follow the second of Peter's hints: many thin layers of acrylic paint until the desired effect is reached.
Then, if you want to weather with oils, consider to protect your paint with a clear coat as oils could damage the underlying acrylic.
Andrea.

First Name
Johnny
Did you degrease the model before painting it? Also sounds as if you might be trying to cover in one coat, you'll probably need at least threee.
Pete

I didn't, no. I have since washed my first attempt off (straight water) but will also try with a little washing up liquid this evening and try again.

Thank you!

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Johnny,
Sounds like some grease, either mould release or human !
Alight wash like you said in warm water, a good dry and then a coat of primer. Many say they say they don't bother, but I've always found it best.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It sounds like you’re using artist’s acrylics, and I suspect they’re not formulated for application on bare plastic. It’ll probably work well on small areas, but on larger ones you might get surface tension effects and similar working against you. Water-based modeller’s acrylics can also suffer from this, alcohol-based ones hardly ever do (though they can have other problems when hand-painting, most related to drying too quickly, either on the brush or on the model, or both).

You can fairly easily check if this is indeed the problem: apply them over other paint. If they go on fine, then you need to avoid bare plastic, for example by applying a coat of primer first.

First Name
Johnny

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Johnny,
Firstly welcome to the forum. Don't give up yet lol you have only just started. There is a wide range of skills and interests on this forum, one thing you should never to is compare to other people there is only one person you need to please and that is your good self. So just have fun.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm both hugely impressed and completely depressed by those pictures! What's the point in continuing!
Johnny,
don't be put off by the masterbuilders! They didn't achieve all that on their first model!! You have to take things in stages - one way is to ask about techniques, hints etc on the forum, so you don't fall down the same holes others have already found. We're all happy to help modellers avoid problems ( I wish I'd had a forum like this in the 70's & 80's! ). As long as your next model is better than the first, then that's the way to go
Cheers, Dave

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm both hugely impressed and completely depressed by those pictures! What's the point in continuing!

To follow up on what others have said, take this as inspiration, not desperation! With a little advice, this is where you will get to. There is zero competition here, and those currently capable of doing this want you to be able to do the same, and will give you all you need to achieve it.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Johnny

I know how your feel..... Look at some of my stuff BUT I use what I see on here as an inspiration.... And the guys are unfailingly kind and constructive in their support.

ATB.

Andrew

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
@Schrödinger's cat ..
johnny, it wasn't posted to make you think I'm any better at it than you,.. trust me I still screw things up quite frequently,
if anything I've had a lot more years of practice of putting my errors right and it did take me a fair amount of work to get it to the finish in the pictures.
to be completely honest It was posted to show you what was possible with a bit of work..

MODS, can you please delete that post ..thx