Adapting Tamiya 1/35 US Troops????

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'm looking for some figures to go with the "Hillbilly Gun Truck" ....... and I'm wondering if, with a bit of coaxing, bending the arms an legs on these little guys is possible to change the poses ......... putting them in boiling water or somesuch ???? ........... Has anyone done anything like that on here that can offer a few pointers ????

Thanks

D

dubster72

Boiling water doesn't work! Guess how I know? ;)

However, carefully cutting arms & legs at joints is good - a bit of filler might be required though.

What poses are you looking for?

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I'm looking for a driver and a standing .50 gunner ..........

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Ive been told if you heat a scalpel blade and gently push it into the joint you can bend them easier without having to cut and glue back together

Give it a go on a figure your not going to use it couldn't hurt :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Alan, It bl***y well would if Peter's knife slipped!

Peter I altered some figures for my 'Omaha' dio. I cut mine clean through the limbs, shaped and altered, glued and then filled where required.

Like Patrick, I found out even gentle heating of any sort doesn't work.....It didn't for me anyway.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Ive been told if you heat a scalpel blade and gently push it into the joint you can bend them easier without having to cut and glue back together
........ I'm not sure I really want to go down the hot scalpel route .......... A cold one in the finger is bad enough matey :eek:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Only passing on what ive been told chaps :D , I don't think you have to go too far in for it to work , ive seen the results of it and it looks better than chop and stick :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Peter I altered some figures for my 'Omaha' dio. I cut mine clean through the limbs, shaped and altered, glued and then filled where required.

Like Patrick, I found out even gentle heating of any sort doesn't work.....It didn't for me anyway.
I think major surgery (butchery) is the way forward ....... I have a couple of figures in my "junk box" I'll dig them out and do a couple of practice runs I think........

Tamiya Putty ???? ....... I've always used the "Squadron" ........ Is the Tamiya Stuff better or is it all "much of a muchness ?????

Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Any model filler will do the job.

For knees and elbows you need to make a V shape cut both in front and behind the joint. 9 out of ten times they break off. sand and glue the on side then fill the other...job done. well after sanding.

Ian M

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Any model filler will do the job.
For knees and elbows you need to make a V shape cut both in front and behind the joint. 9 out of ten times they break off. sand and glue the on side then fill the other...job done. well after sanding.

Ian M
Thanks Ian ........... I'll give it a go.

Peter

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Reminds me of when i lived at home, and was building some plane in my room, my arm was itching so gave it quite a good scratch, with what i thought was the back of a no 10 blade, went downstairs and my mom asked "what i had been doing as my shirt was soaked in blood", to which i promptly collapsed onto the floor, when i came round it would appear i had used the cutting side of the blade and had taken of a layer of skin !!!

T

Tibbs

Stitching body parts.... Mmmmm the " Human Centipede" springs to mind :eek: :D

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Reminds me of when i lived at home, and was building some plane in my room, my arm was itching so gave it quite a good scratch, with what i thought was the back of a no 10 blade, went downstairs and my mom asked "what i had been doing as my shirt was soaked in blood", to which i promptly collapsed onto the floor, when i came round it would appear i had used the cutting side of the blade and had taken of a layer of skin !!!
........ A while back, after supergluing two fingers together ............ I had a flash of inspiriation........ " If I just gently usie a scalpel and cut the superglue apart where it's sticking to the skin" ......... Donkey!!!!! :confused:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
There are figure sets out there that would do the job - Masterbox have a US tank crew with a gunner, as do one of the old Tamiya sets.
Bronco do a set of seated figures for their Jeep. You might not need them all, but the others could be used with another model or dio.

View attachment 114871 View attachment 114872 View attachment 114874
Thanks Patrick ........... But I need some modern US troops (Iraq / Afghan campaigns) ...... and as far as I can tell the choices are a bit limited.

Peter