Adrian's Sniper GB: The Last Stand, Berlin 1945

J

JFJ

Hey guys.

Haven't been on SM for some time. Was busy with school work and stuffs.

Anyhoo, this is my thread for the Sniper GB. This is my first time in a GB, so Im pretty excited about this one.

My diorama, set in Berlin, 1945 (duh...) will depict a German sniper in the upstairs window of a house. This is my first set of figures, so I hope someone will point me in the right direction when it comes to painting one of these things. :smiling3:

Still kinda busy now (just scraped 10-15 minutes to post this message), so box and sprue shots later (maybe next week). Sorry for being a little late in starting the thread.

Enough of my rambling! All the best to those in the GB! Hope this will be fun fun fun!

Adrian

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi adrian , nice to see you back , the dio sounds good , looking forward to seeing it, cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello Adrian, as Tony posts, it's good to see you joining in again....

I look forward to seeing your dio. progress. Keep us posted and remember, keep it fun and enjoy!lol

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome back Adrian Glad to see you join in the GB to!

As for starting late? Nowt wrong with that, its the ones that start before that you have to keep an eye on! lol

Don't forget to post as you build and ask as many questions as you like. I am sure that some of our regular dio and figure builders will come along and give a worthy reply.

Ian M

P

Polux

Hi Adrian!

It's my first GB too!!

the dio sounds really good , looking forward to seeing it.

All the best

Polux

J

JFJ

Hey all,

First update of the build: I have finished the door of the house. Only construction, paint will be tomorrow afternoon, or tomorrow night. This was a simple affair, but needed some time to sand the balsa wood. Took about 30 minutes in all. The door will be detached on its top hinge, since it is closer to the blast centre. The botton hinge will still be stuck to the frame. Thanks for staying tuned!

View attachment 34002

View attachment 38632

P1030863.jpg

J

JFJ

Unfortunately when I was painting the door, it somehow broke (don't know why). But I have started on the building and ditched the idea of the door.

Still loads more to do.

Started on the building last night and I must say I overestimated this bit. Scribing bricks took me 1 hour last night and less than 1 hour this morning. Got that done. Then I started on the windows. I have got hold of some transparent plastic (god knows what it's called) that is used in packaging, which I will use for broken glass. Got the upstairs floor settled as well. After all that was done I decided to make the sidewalks. For that, I cut foam into small rectangles and then scribed small squares in them. Next, they were liberally covered in plaster, before the lines were scribed back in again to make them deeper and hence, more distinct.

What's left:

Windows (broken glass)

Wallpaper design, which I have to print out and stick to the walls.

Exterior painting

Window frame painting

Detail painting

Figures

The road outside the house

Debris

Meanwhile I have been collecting scrap balsa and pieces of styrofoam etc for the rubble. Still not enough IMHO. But there will be plenty once I get those things mentioned above settled. Thats all for now. Thanks for looking!

Sorry pic heavy!!

View attachment 38752

View attachment 38756

View attachment 38757

View attachment 38758

View attachment 38759

View attachment 38760

View attachment 38761

View attachment 38762

View attachment 38763

View attachment 38764

P1030869.jpg

P1030870.jpg

P1030872.jpg

P1030873.jpg

P1030874.jpg

P1030875.jpg

P1030876.jpg

P1030877.jpg

P1030879.jpg

P1030880.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Adrian don't worry about 'picture heavy' They are all nice shots of your progress.

Very impressive sculpting, great stuff to work with isn't it? Just needs a bit of imagination and away you go!

Good stuff.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice job scratching the house/ruin. Well done!

Ian M

R

rogue-one

great stuff adrian. coming along nice. this is very similar to the gb.dio i'm going to do, in the way that it's a sniper at the window of a corner building (it seems like a popular diorama to do when it comes to snipers, lol). first time i've try'd buildings, so i'm gonna watch what your progress.

J

JFJ

Thanks for the comments guys. Bobby, good luck with the rest of the build! Your kits look interesting. I, for one, long to try the German Soldiers on Bicycles. Thanks again!

Adrian

J

JFJ

Update so far:

I have masked off the wooden frame of the base to prevent getting paint and glue where I don't want. Next, I proceeded to construct the floor of the house. Honestly I did not believe the PVA glue would hold the wood, but it did (luckily!). Painted a part of the house as I forgot that I wanted to prime it! Wallpaper in place upstairs and I installed a gutter from the roof down to the ground. Thats all for now!

View attachment 39293

View attachment 39294

View attachment 39295

View attachment 39296

View attachment 39297

View attachment 39298

P1030891.jpg

P1030892.jpg

P1030893.jpg

P1030894.jpg

P1030895.jpg

P1030896.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Shaping up nicely Adrian, Glad to see you have staggered the floor board joints (sorry, I've got my joiners hat on again!)

The whole job looks really well, nice one...

Ron

J

JFJ

Excuse my long absence in updating this thread. At last I have made some decent progress!

First, I primed the base using Mr Surfacer 1000 straight from the can, before painting up the bricks. They were first brushed with a coat of Tamiya red, before being drybrushed with beige and yellowish orange. I have also weathered the wallpaper downstairs.

Finally got cracking on the sniper figure. Face (not shown) was painted with XF-15 Flat Flesh before the uniform was painted in Green-Grey (XF-60:2 XF-8:1). Then I darkened the base colour and filled in the shadows in the uniform. The belt and botts were painted in Dark Grey. Then came the detail painting. This is my first figure so Im pretty chuffed with the results. I still have to do toning on the face and complete the pants. Thats all for now! Thanks for staying tuned.

View attachment 39760

View attachment 39761

View attachment 39762

View attachment 39763

View attachment 39764

View attachment 39765

View attachment 39766

View attachment 39767

View attachment 39768

View attachment 39769

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg