Advance from Normandy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Fantastic scene Paul! Should be very pleased with that one. If I could have a finish half as good, I'd be over the moon!
Thanks Jack, Very kind of you.

Smashing finish Scottie. You've overtaken me and got your building painted...mines still in plaster.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard
Cheers Richard, I suggest you get your finger out then ;) :smiling:
That is a fantasic job yu have done there Paul, something to be proud of.

Andy.
Thanks Andy, I must admit I am quite happy with it, there is always something to do better but hopefully next time.
Hi Scottie
You'll gather from the posts that everyone is very impressed. I'll simple say the same - superb!
Jim
Jim, I know and it is very humbling that you guys like my work.
Love it! fabulous job (again)it looks superb. :thumb2:
Many thanks Mark happy you like it.
The blended rubble into the roadway is very cool & you remembered the tracks this time. Great job overall.
Yes mate I remembered this time but being a hard road just wanted to show the scratching from the track links and where it has dug into the debris.
Masterful!
Thanks you very much Neil.
Scottie

Absolutely brilliant. Subtle and understated and yet lots look at. Very well done.

Andrew
Andrew, thank you very much indeed.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul, as the rest have said- absolutely brilliant job.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking better and better Paul. The tracks in particular are really effective.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Well done Paul, all the elements of the diorama go together well, the little details like the rubble in the road add to the scene. Superb!

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Daaamn it's really looking good....well done Paul..

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul stunning Dio. Loads of great detail, the care taken to accomplish this is plain to see.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul

I enjoy your builds and this is another superb building and painting job. Each of the elements of the model is an outstanding piece on its own. I have just some small comments about the overall effect. I think the base is maybe just a smidgen small for the model it is presenting. You have three basic elements to the composition but to my eye they do not connect to each other but seem a little disjointed. Finally the straight lines of the building and the tank tend to make the piece a little static and don't complement each other well. This might sound a little artsy fartsy (I am after all in the artsy business) but a dio should, in my view, cause the viewer's eye to flow around the scene and connect all the details together. Static straight lines tend to make the viewing experience somewhat staccato, if you get what I mean, and diminish the "wholeness" of the scene.
I hope you don't mind these, hopefully, helpful little comments and of course you can always ignore them.

Looking forward to your next build

ATB
John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul

I enjoy your builds and this is another superb building and painting job. Each of the elements of the model is an outstanding piece on its own. I have just some small comments about the overall effect. I think the base is maybe just a smidgen small for the model it is presenting. You have three basic elements to the composition but to my eye they do not connect to each other but seem a little disjointed. Finally the straight lines of the building and the tank tend to make the piece a little static and don't complement each other well. This might sound a little artsy fartsy (I am after all in the artsy business) but a dio should, in my view, cause the viewer's eye to flow around the scene and connect all the details together. Static straight lines tend to make the viewing experience somewhat staccato, if you get what I mean, and diminish the "wholeness" of the scene.
I hope you don't mind these, hopefully, helpful little comments and of course you can always ignore them.

Looking forward to your next build

ATB
John
John,
Good to hear from you and no I don't mind at all. I am here to learn and I value your comments. It's funny you bring these points up as I was thinking the same thing especially about it being to small. The issue I have is I try to keep the bases to about A4 size as I have limited space to keep them. I would value your thoughts on how I can achieve the right look with a limited area.
Many thanks again for your comment.
A TV
Paul

Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul

Composition is very much a personal preference, however I too like to keep things fairly small. The first thing I try to do is to make sure that each part of a scene interconnects with the other parts. This can be done by colour, by physical connection or by repeated shapes. This little dio of mine I think illustrates some points.

Dingo 1.jpg

The colours are very closely related and if you look closely there are shapes that are similar. For instance the the round rock on top of the rocks at the back, the beret on the guy in the dingo and the round rock at the front also the wheel hubs reflect the same shape. The whole model is built around a basic triangle shape which is a classic form for compositions. My painting copy taken from a larger work, illustrates the triangle idea.

IMG_2051.jpg

Finally adding a complementary colour to something in the dio ties it in with the rest of the model and also makes the whole thing pop. In this case the officer's sweater does the job.

Note Blue and yellow, are complementary as are green and red.

I hope this rabbiting on makes sense and helps a bit.

John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul

Composition is very much a personal preference, however I too like to keep things fairly small. The first thing I try to do is to make sure that each part of a scene interconnects with the other parts. This can be done by colour, by physical connection or by repeated shapes. This little dio of mine I think illustrates some points.

View attachment 436214

The colours are very closely related and if you look closely there are shapes that are similar. For instance the the round rock on top of the rocks at the back, the beret on the guy in the dingo and the round rock at the front also the wheel hubs reflect the same shape. The whole model is built around a basic triangle shape which is a classic form for compositions. My painting copy taken from a larger work, illustrates the triangle idea.

View attachment 436215

Finally adding a complementary colour to something in the dio ties it in with the rest of the model and also makes the whole thing pop. In this case the officer's sweater does the job.

Note Blue and yellow, are complementary as are green and red.

I hope this rabbiting on makes sense and helps a bit.

John
John,
It makes perfect sense thank you and that Dingo scene has always been one of my favourites.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Paul,

Sorry I'm late for the party, not much elbow room... @John Race taking up space with his 4bo! :rolling: :tongue-out3: :tears-of-joy:
This looks the usual Scottie outstanding build scenario! Like it a lot mate... :thumb2:

Lee

• Haha
Reactions: JR