Advice needed on Painting woman dress with motive

First Name
Richard
Hi guys,

I, am currently building a Dutch house for practice and after some complains(that I, am just using it as practice), I decided to use it as a diorama and not just a practicing object.

But here’s the thing I want to make it a diorama at the end of the war, I got these figurines in mind and I wonder how u guys would paint the dresses of these women. I don’t need to be the same as the picture but I don’t want to do one color only.

View attachment 71848

These are my ideas on the subject

a. Using airbrush with masking tape

b. With printed tissue carefully wrapped over the dress and sealed with clear coat.

What do you guys think.?

Cheers Richi

View attachment 71847

masterbox-mb-3514-1-35-v-day-europe-1945.jpg

masterbox-mb-3514-1-35-v-day-europe-1945.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think that it would be hard with an airbrush. I think you will do better with the hairy stick type.

As for a motif try Google and search for womens fashion 1945 ( or the date you are interested in)

Ian M

C

CDW

Why not try some of the stickers you can get from hobby shops, the type that have all sorts of scrolls and squiggles and flowers etc. The sort used for card making.

They just peel off the backing and (from what I've used) the glue isn't the best so won't rip the base coat off.

You could use them as a stencil.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You could try nail decals:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.Xnail+decals&_nkw=nail+decals&_sacat=0&_from=R40

They're available as stickers or water transfers.

Gern

PS No, I don't use them myself! My missus suggested them when I was after markings for my Robogear armour a few months ago. I didn't buy any 'cos I figured butterflies and flowers weren't quite what I was looking for!

First Name
Richard
Guy’s thanks

Never thought of those nail decals:rolleyes: they should be small enough I think.

i will give it a try.

Cheers Richi

B

Bunkerbarge

You could get yourself some decal paper for your inkjet printer and print motifs that you could stick to the dress.

I would go for a single color though and spend the time putting the effort into the blending and shading of the color to bring the dress to life. Adding motifs swill be very difficult to blend in properly and may end up spoiling the overall realism of the model. This will be particularly difficult at 1/35th and could end up being a disappointment.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi if you remember the little paper dolls you could dress with all types off dress, that you

gave to your kids to give you some time for you, if you google dress up dolls or

some think along theirs lines , and could try once you have the patten you like sock in

a mix off pva gue and water , so it will fit in all the little nooks and so on , and once dry

just a clear coat.

as i was look at the same MB kit as well