Advice on creating a 'tumbling water' effect?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I've an idea that I'd like to include in a future dio, but at the moment have a poor idea of how to get the effect, so advice please!
I'd like to create a small waterfall where a stream tumbles down and into either a culvert or a larger stream (culvert would probably be a lot easier!) to get that I'm going to 'need' to get the effect as in the photo (photo actually of a water feature in Norway - but gives the idea of 'look') any ideas?
1613487117570.png

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Clear silicone should do the trick gerry, if you search out any of rons ( spanner570) amazing seascape dios youll see the stunningly realistic effects that can be achieved . Im sure if you dropped him a pm he’d be glad to advise, hope this helps ,cheers tony

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Have a look on youtube. Loads of vids on there on 'how to'. I can recommend Geek Gaming (Lukes APS) channel for one

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Crystal clear silicon is the stuff you need to find, as Tony said have a look at some of Ron's (spanner) diorama. I recall one that had a waterfall and another with a waterwheel and pool.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Clear silicone should do the trick gerry, if you search out any of rons ( spanner570) amazing seascape dios youll see the stunningly realistic effects that can be achieved . Im sure if you dropped him a pm he’d be glad to advise, hope this helps ,cheers tony
I have looked at the sea-scapes, and sat back in amazement, but wasn't sure if the techniques used would work vertically.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Crystal clear silicon is the stuff you need to find, as Tony said have a look at some of Ron's (spanner) diorama. I recall one that had a waterfall and another with a waterwheel and pool.
Will have to search those out:thumb2:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Remember that if you use a silicon based sealant, you 'generally' cannot paint on it. So doing white bubbles/foam won 't work. You need a hybrid polymer

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Remember that if you use a silicon based sealant, you 'generally' cannot paint on it. So doing white bubbles/foam won 't work. You need a hybrid polymer
I'll see what's available locally, thanks

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Found the 'waterwheel' diorama write-up - hope that I can take on board the technique.
Just remembered - I've got a whole tube and a half of clear silicon that was left over from sealing a trailer, and a load of varnish, both internal & yacht - will have a play!
Thanks for the help :thumb2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I seem to remember Andys Hobby Headquarters doing "moving" water with PVA glue that was blown with air (with an airbrush) and allowed to dry.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Have a look at some of the stuff this person does @ https://www.youtube.com/c/KathyMillatt/videos

I watched the presenter on the Hornby Railway TV show ( The Great Model Railway Challenge ) , and wondered what the background was.
Some very interesting work.
Interesting watch - though when the resin came out (on the 'TGMRC') I tended to lose interest, was interesting how she did the 'outflow' though

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry, Gerry.
I'm rather late with my contribution....

Looks like the lads have offered plenty of advise. I can't vouch for the methods suggested, as I never go on youtube.

I use clear silicone and just kind'a sculpt the stuff with a small paint scraper and a nail.

Make sure you use clear and not translucent.

All I can suggest is once you have an idea just what you are trying to 'model', squirt some silicone out on summat and have a practice. Then practice some more until you are happy with the result. That is what I do.

One point. You can paint directly onto silicone and I always do to highlight movement. Use the paint straight from the dispenser. Yes, I know it can be rubbed off, but who in their right mind deliberately rubs the paintwork on a model just to see if it comes off?!

Not much in the way of advise, but that is really how I work it and all I use.

It's a great medium to 'Mess' with. Enjoy!

Ron

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Sorry, Gerry.
I'm rather late with my contribution....

Looks like the lads have offered plenty of advise. I can't vouch for the methods suggested, as I never go on youtube.

I use clear silicone and just kind'a sculpt the stuff with a small paint scraper and a nail.

Make sure you use clear and not translucent.

All I can suggest is once you have an idea just what you are trying to 'model', squirt some silicone out on summat and have a practice. Then practice some more until you are happy with the result. That is what I do.

One point. You can paint directly onto silicone and I always do to highlight movement. Use the paint straight from the dispenser. Yes, I know it can be rubbed off, but who in their right mind deliberately rubs the paintwork on a model just to see if it comes off?!

Not much in the way of advise, but that is really how I work it and all I use.

It's a great medium to 'Mess' with. Enjoy!

Ron
It's OK Ron, was pointed towards some of your work (and if I were wearing a hat, it'd be off to you!) even the wife was impressed with the U-boat (and she doesn't see the point of plastic models!) some incredible effects (though the last time we crossed the Baltic, you could watch the wake of the ship disappear in the distance, it was that calm) Love the 'stories' that you tell around your dioramas!