Advice/Recommendations Please

First Name
Stef
Hi

I’m not sure this is allowed on here? I am looking for some advice/recommendations would be very much appreciated and I hope someone can help me.

We have sadly gained a large collection of scale models that is no longer of use to us. We do not know much about this collection. But we do know it was loved very much and I am sure someone else would do too. We would like to sell but we are struggling to know if it is worth much. And what we best to do with it?

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have let this go through to here so you may get some help.
Could you tell more about the collection, are they built models or unmade? What are the models of, aircraft, armour, ships?
The better info we gave, the better chance of someone who can help.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The most obvious option is ebay where you will probably get the best price but will have the hassle of listing, selling and posting. Other options are to sell to a local model shop but you will likely get a less favourable deal. I see you are in Liverpool, the only model shops that I know of near you are in New Brighton and Birkenhead - Hattons in Widnes also buy model collections.
There are two societies in the region that might also be able to give advice. IPMS have groups in Aintree, Liverpool and Wirral located in Port Sunlight, I am a member of IPMS Wirral group and we sometimes get offers or requests from people disposing of collections; both are decent people.
Finally, IPMS Lancashire are hosting a swapmeet at BAE Samlesbury next month. You can rent a table(s) and sell what you have there.

https://m.facebook.com/people/Merseyside-Scale-Model-Club/100057390251792/

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Quite a few helpful suggestions from Rick. If you do decide to sell on eBay it may be worthwhile putting the models into groups. Say a set of 4 or 5 WW2 planes or a set of sailing ships - whatever you have. This will make listing, packaging and posting easier.
I wish you well with this.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Might I suggest getting in touch with Nikki at the Veteranus Auction Group on Facebook as a straightforward way of realising the best return on the disposal of the collection...

All the best.

Nick

First Name
Stef
The most obvious option is ebay where you will probably get the best price but will have the hassle of listing, selling and posting. Other options are to sell to a local model shop but you will likely get a less favourable deal. I see you are in Liverpool, the only model shops that I know of near you are in New Brighton and Birkenhead - Hattons in Widnes also buy model collections.
There are two societies in the region that might also be able to give advice. IPMS have groups in Aintree, Liverpool and Wirral located in Port Sunlight, I am a member of IPMS Wirral group and we sometimes get offers or requests from people disposing of collections; both are decent people.
Finally, IPMS Lancashire are hosting a swapmeet at BAE Samlesbury next month. You can rent a table(s) and sell what you have there.

https://m.facebook.com/people/Merseyside-Scale-Model-Club/100057390251792/
Thank you so much for this advice

First Name
Stef
I have let this go through to here so you may get some help.
Could you tell more about the collection, are they built models or unmade? What are the models of, aircraft, armour, ships?
The better info we gave, the better chance of someone who can help.
Yes

The collection consists of built & un built, painted and unused approximately there is the following
54 Tanks
14 planes
2 ships
2 sumbraines
24 boxes of unused Airfix, revell, italen, Inez & Lindbergh items
Thousands of soldiers?

First Name
Stef
Quite a few helpful suggestions from Rick. If you do decide to sell on eBay it may be worthwhile putting the models into groups. Say a set of 4 or 5 WW2 planes or a set of sailing ships - whatever you have. This will make listing, packaging and posting easier.
I wish you well with this.
This is where I am stuck because I’m not sure what they all are, I think it’s mostly WW2?

First Name
Stef
Might I suggest getting in touch with Nikki at the Veteranus Auction Group on Facebook as a straightforward way of realising the best return on the disposal of the collection...

All the best.

Nick
Yes I have been in contact with her but I think this is only boxed items? But I have considered this thanks

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good advice from the forum Stef.
If Ian allows could you post some photos ( Can't remember if none full members can post photos ? )
The boxes if you have should state the scale , 1/35, 1/72 or 1/48. The ships and subs will be a different scale , all would have a description.
Photos on here would give you the answers you require hopefully.
Good luck what ever you choose .

First Name
Stef
Good advice from the forum Stef.
If Ian allows could you post some photos ( Can't remember if none full members can post photos ? )
The boxes if you have should state the scale , 1/35, 1/72 or 1/48. The ships and subs will be a different scale , all would have a description.
Photos on here would give you the answers you require hopefully.
Good luck what ever you choose .
Yes I will try to do that I’ve started writing a list