Advice with using chipping fluids

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening. I am looking at using chipping fluids, watched numerous videos and it seems ok to use but not brushed on.

Can it be left in place if you decide not to chip a panel for example. Otherwise i surpose you can just spray it on various panels as you spray??

Thanks bob

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Bob - have used the AK stuff a few times. If you are chipping then it needs to be done fairly soon after spraying. I found that it gets progressively harder to remove the top layer of paint as time passes.

I left one of mine for a couple of days after spraying and it was near impossible to remove

Recommendation is spray on a couple of good coats over your base and let dry. The. Spray your top coat lightly over the top of the now dry chipping fluid. Let it dry for an hour then start removing where you want

If you don’t want chips on a panel just leave as is

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Simon

Many thanks for the advice, been practicing with a sponge, got better at it but very hit and miss using a small brush.

Will find some plastic to ruin lol

Thanks again

Bob

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I am new to this world of chipping with hairspray etc. My only real tip is seal it with varnish once you are happy with the finish as future weathering may create chips in places you don't want them.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning Steve, sound advice?

Using it with tri camo may be a problem, it will dry as you wait to do the three seperate colours??

My brain hurts lol

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm no expert Bob but could you spray all three colours one after the other and then chip them all at once?? I would be interested how you get on as I will be doing the same at the end of the year on the Panther. Good luck

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm no expert Bob but could you spray all three colours one after the other and then chip them all at once?? I would be interested how you get on as I will be doing the same at the end of the year on the Panther. Good luck
I think it might take too long Steve and be harder to do the chipping, It would depend on how long it takes Bob to do .
Hi Simon

Many thanks for the advice, been practicing with a sponge, got better at it but very hit and miss using a small brush.

Will find some plastic to ruin lol

Thanks again

Bob

I sprayed mine to two directions, one cross and then up and down. As for the chipping , I take it you mean a hard bristled brush, apply the water then use a stabbing method, you soon get the feeling, but as the paint hardens you have to apply more force. also the use of a wooden tooth pick for those squiggle scratches that occur from branches HTH

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks John

I have been using a sponge and brush for chipping with mixed results, will post photos. Next step is have a go with these fluids.

Bob

Reactions: JR