Aerial Length in 1/35

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi folks, just a quick question,
I'm struggling to find any info regarding the length of radio aerials on ww2 tanks, namely the Churchill, and what length they'd be in 1/35 scale... for some reason I have somewhere between 4 and 6 cm's in mind..but im not totally sure..

so over to you guys.. any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Radio "A Set" for long range communications and the "B Set" for short range tank to tank communication.

The "A Set" was designed primarily for use with 8ft or 12ft rod aerials. These were supplied in 4ft sections and were known as the "Aerial Rod F". Enough sections numbered 1-3, were usually supplied to make a 16ft fitting. Where short range communication only was required. Under conditions in which the 8ft aerial would be regarded as too conspicuous a single 4ft section could be used.

The "B Set" used a short 24" rod, or 20"

So just under three inches (7cm) for the 8ft aerial

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Accurate lengths would be sections of 35 mm long each in 1:35 scale for the A-set (so a normal aerial would be 70 or 105 mm) and either 17.5 mm or 14.5 mm for the B-set. The former goes on the cone-shaped antenna mount, the other on the post that has a ring around its top.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi folks, just a quick question,
I'm struggling to find any info regarding the length of radio aerials on ww2 tanks, namely the Churchill, and what length they'd be in 1/35 scale... for some reason I have somewhere between 4 and 6 cm's in mind..but im not totally sure..

so over to you guys.. any ideas?

thanks in advance.
Thanks for asking - something I've always wondered but never got around to asking.

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Love the fact the standard antenna length for most German AFVs is 2m - makes the maths easy!