Aeroplast BM 13-24 Katyusha in 1/35 scale.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Katyusha rocket launchers, which were invented in Voronezh, were mounted on many platforms during World War II, including on trucks, artillery tractors, tanks, and armoured trains, as well as on naval and riverine vessels as assault support weapons. Soviet engineers also mounted single Katyusha rockets on lengths of railway track to serve in urban combat.

The design was relatively simple, consisting of racks of parallel rails on which rockets were mounted, with a folding frame to raise the rails to launch position. Each truck had 14 to 48 launchers. The M-13 rocket of the BM-13 system was 80 cm (2 ft 7 in) long, 13.2 cm (5.2 in) in diameter and weighed 42 kg (93 lb).

The weapon is less accurate than conventional artillery guns, but is extremely effective in saturation bombardment. A battery of four BM-13 launchers could fire a salvo in 7–10 seconds that delivered 4.35 tons of high explosives over a 400,000-square-metre (4,300,000 sq ft) impact zone,[3] making its power roughly equivalent to that of 72 conventional artillery guns. With an efficient crew, the launchers could redeploy to a new location immediately after firing, denying the enemy the opportunity for counterbattery fire. Katyusha batteries were often massed in very large numbers to create a shock effect on enemy forces. The weapon's disadvantage was the long time it took to reload a launcher, in contrast to conventional guns which could sustain a continuous low rate of fire.

Development[edit]
220px-Katjuscha_1938_Moscow.jpg
BM-13N Katyusha on a Lend-Lease Studebaker US6 2+1⁄2-ton 6×6 truck, at the Museum of the Great Patriotic War, Moscow (2006)
assis_at_the_Museum_on_Sapun_Mountain_Sevastopol_4.jpg
BM-31-12 on ZIS-12 at the Museum (Diorama) on Sapun Mountain, Sevastopol
220px-Monument_near_Bryukhovetskaya.jpg
Katyusha on a ZIL-157 truck
170px-BM_13_TBiU_7.jpg
Reloading a BM-13
110px-KatyushaMusee.jpg
An M13 rocket for the Katyusha launcher on display in Musée de l'Armée.
In June 1938, the Soviet Reaction-Engine Scientific Research Institute (RNII) in Moscow was authorized by the Main Artillery Directorate (GAU) to develop a multiple rocket launcher for the RS-132 aircraft rocket (RS for Reaktivnyy Snaryad, 'rocket-powered shell').[10] I. Gvay led a design team in Chelyabinsk, Russia, which built several prototype launchers firing the modified 132 mm M-132 rockets over the sides of ZIS-5 trucks. These proved unstable, and V.N. Galkovskiy proposed mounting the launch rails longitudinally. In August 1939, the result was the BM-13 (BM stands for боевая машина (translit. boyevaya mashina), 'combat vehicle' for M-13 rockets).[1]

The first large-scale testing of the rocket launchers took place at the end of 1938, when 233 rounds of various types were used. A salvo of rockets could completely straddle a target at a range of 5,500 metres (3.4 mi). But the artillery branch was not fond of the Katyusha, because it took up to 50 minutes to load and fire 24 rounds, while a conventional howitzer could fire 95 to 150 rounds in the same time.[citation needed] Testing with various rockets was conducted through 1940, and the BM-13-16 with launch rails for sixteen rockets was authorized for production. Only forty launchers were built before Germany invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941.[6]

After their success in the first month of the war, mass production was ordered and the development of other models proceeded. The Katyusha was inexpensive and could be manufactured in light industrial installations which did not have the heavy equipment to build conventional artillery gun barrels.[3] By the end of 1942, 3,237 Katyusha launchers of all types had been built, and by the end of the war total production reached about 10,000.[11]

The truck-mounted Katyushas were installed on ZIS-6 6×4 trucks, as well as the two-axle ZIS-5 and ZIS-5V. In 1941, a small number of BM-13 launchers were mounted on STZ-5 artillery tractors. A few were also tried on KV tank chassis as the KV-1K, but this was a needless waste of heavy armour. Starting in 1942, they were also mounted on various British, Canadian and U.S. Lend-Lease trucks, in which case they were sometimes referred to as BM-13S. The cross-country performance of the Studebaker US6 2½-ton 6×6 truck was so good that it became the GAU's standard mounting in 1943, designated BM-13N (normalizovanniy, 'standardized'), and more than 1,800 of this model were manufactured by the end of World War II.[12] After World War II, BM-13s were based on Soviet-built ZIS-151 trucks.

The 82 mm BM-8 was approved in August 1941, and deployed as the BM-8-36 on truck beds and BM-8-24 on T-40 and T-60 light tank chassis. Later these were also installed on GAZ-67 jeeps as the BM-8-8, and on the larger Studebaker trucks as the BM-8-48.[3] In 1942, the team of scientists Leonid Shvarts, Moisei Komissarchik and engineer Yakov Shor received the Stalin prize for the development of the BM-8-48.[13][14]

Based on the M-13, the M-30 rocket was developed in 1942. Its bulbous warhead required it to be fired from a grounded frame, called the M-30 (single frame, four round; later double frame, 8 round), instead of a launch rail mounted on a truck. In 1944 it became the basis for the BM-31-12 truck-mounted launcher.[3]

A battery of BM-13-16 launchers included four firing vehicles, two reload trucks and two technical support trucks, with each firing vehicle having a crew of six. Reloading was executed in 3–4 minutes, although the standard procedure was to switch to a new position some 10 km away due to the ease with which the battery could be identified by the enemy. Three batteries were combined into a division (company), and three divisions into a separate mine-firing regiment of rocket artillery.

For discussion only from Wikipedia.

I've always had a fascination for these weapons, the sound of a battery firing these is something else, what on earth it was like to be on the receiving end must have been hell.

This one a "T-40" T-60 were produced with BM-8-24 Katjusha rocket racks mounted instead of a turret. This version provided a mobile mount for a 24-rail multiple-launch rocket system, firing 82 mm unguided rockets.A total of 12 T-40 were converted into this model in autumn 1941 .Widely photographed in the Operation Barbarossa , where many were knocked out and rarely seen after the end 1941.

Box Art :

2021_13.jpg

A quick look at the sprues showed very little flash, I was expecting to see a lot more.

2021_14.jpg

2021_15.jpg

2021_16.jpg
Not detail on those rockets that more modern manufactures would have done , but good enough.

2021_17.jpg

2021_18.jpg

Detail really not bad for the price.
According to Scale mates this first came out in 2006 and was classed as a T60.

Seats now available through normal channels co Mrs Jones Ticket agency.

Dzhon

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
There's no hanging about from the bench at Race Towers is there. Finish one cracker and straight in with the next.
Very interesting intro. Not heard of this manufacturer. Sprue shots look ok rather than great but no doubt you'll do it proud.
Front and centre please. Tea, milk but no sugar, and plenty of biccies.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Must have been terrifying for German infantry under bombardment from them. Love the history, even though the colour is wrong lol

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
There's no hanging about from the bench at Race Towers is there. Finish one cracker and straight in with the next.
Very interesting intro. Not heard of this manufacturer. Sprue shots look ok rather than great but no doubt you'll do it proud.
Front and centre please. Tea, milk but no sugar, and plenty of biccies.
Jim
No Jim at my age I intend to keep up with the stash and keep management happy.
Agree not the most detailed kit, but clean, and tonight found out I can get some Fruil tracks for it !!!!! .No doubt they will cost more than the kit, but for me it will be worth it.Going to have a look tomorrow on the Fruil site as they do offers for more than 10 sets, I'll only look for Russian that I have to build.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Must have been terrifying for German infantry under bombardment from them. Love the history, even though the colour is wrong lol
It must have indeed Bob, you just wouldn't know where to run or hide.
Don't think grey would do I am afraid :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
I believe I made the T-60 tank many moons ago - I think it was typical Easter European, a little crude & heavy mouldings - but there was a nice model struggling to get out! I reckon the smallness of the suspension bits will be the real challenge - I'll be following with interest!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think all main combatants (possibly excluding Japan) developed thier own variants of rocket artillery, but the Russians used them en mass more than all the others. Looks a good kit for its origins John. Hope the tracks work out fo4 you….

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Will be joining the party..... If necessary, for a front seat, I can offer the bribe of Junior's homemade Celebration Chocolate Brownie!!!!

ATB.

Andrew

PS have not forgotten about the kv2 dio being finished, I just need to get my laptop so I can have a proper look. Regardless though, the pictures look very good on my phone!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
I believe I made the T-60 tank many moons ago - I think it was typical Easter European, a little crude & heavy mouldings - but there was a nice model struggling to get out! I reckon the smallness of the suspension bits will be the real challenge - I'll be following with interest!
Dave
Hi Dave, yes very typical of an Eastern European kit. The surprising thing there was no flash, just seam lines to sand down. Managed to figure out the suspension by downloading the plans from Scalemates and blow them right up.

QUOTE="Tim Marlow, post: 577786, member: 6581"]
I think all main combatants (possibly excluding Japan) developed thier own variants of rocket artillery, but the Russians used them en mass more than all the others. Looks a good kit for its origins John. Hope the tracks work out fo4 you….
[/QUOTE]

Tim not sure if to get the Fruils yet, these tracks are very small, I would like to be able to do the kit ones, but from past experience I'm not so sure.

Will be joining the party..... If necessary, for a front seat, I can offer the bribe of Junior's homemade Celebration Chocolate Brownie!!!!

ATB.

Andrew

PS have not forgotten about the kv2 dio being finished, I just need to get my laptop so I can have a proper look. Regardless though, the pictures look very good on my phone!

Andrew a fellow Fire builder you are always welcome, from row. Hope you like the KV when you manage to have a look.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Not seen this one before JR. Looks a great subject to build. If you need any reference material let me know. Good luck my friend

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
With the help of Scale mates I was able to increase the size of the very poor instructions and a walk round from the T-60, Kubinka Armor Museum, Russia, by Vladimir Yakubov a lot of progress has been made.

The tank is the first thing to be started, the Rocket Sledge I might have to paint off the model so I get around the framing.

The worst part was the rear sprockets, the instruction only showed from the front, with a pretty naff sketch . Still with the walk around it became clear.

2021.jpg2021_2.jpg2021_3.jpg

2021_4.jpg
2021_5.jpg
Hopefully the rear supports are in the right place, they can't go in any further as there was a stop on the actual axcle stub.
2021_6.jpg

Has to re glue that long box affair, constant referring to the walk round is the best way.

Quite pleased really, and have been using some glue by EMA, shall be using a lot in future , recommended by Mike ( Isit me ) If its good enough for him so be it.

Thanks for the comments and for looking in.

Any pointer please shout out !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not seen this one before JR. Looks a great subject to build. If you need any reference material let me know. Good luck my friend
Hi mate, I was just doing the post when you arrived, yes thanks will do. Think I have a book somewhere on Russian armour, but it's not in great depth on most entries

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Progress has been rapid, including the launch system.

On the latter the plastic rods were discarded after one snapped in cleaning. Much better to assembly by doing it in section as the photos show.

2021_5.jpg

Outer ends.

2021_4.jpg

Center section, 1 set each side of the frame.

2021_3.jpg

As this.
Resulting in this !

2021_6.jpg

Now after all this excitement you may wonder how I got on with the tracks ??????????

Well don't, try as I might to get the curve of 6 on the front sprocket and then join them to lower section they failed.

Have sent for some Fruils, ok more expensive than the kit, but I can't get those links to fit on the sprocket in a central manor and then join up the straight section on the top run was hard enough.
To to find that the links were the wrong way round on the lower run no matter which way I used the track, was the last straw.
Once the tracks are here I shall make them up, paint and then spray the tank. Fit the tracks and then the track guards.

Need to wire in the light and horn and fit a few more small parts.

Thanks for looking in.

Dzhon.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bit late to the party bud looking good so far ,thumb still not very good large lump on the end and no feeling has equaled total lack of intrest in the hobby ,might have a flik through the net pm see if there's one of these in 72nd need to get get going again. Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
That's a lot of progress and the result looks good. The kit seems better than I thought it might be. Is this the EMA Plastic Weld you use?
1631725558285.png
I have used it for years and I find it really good. The only other styrene cement I occasionally use is Revell Contacta as it is slower drying and gives a bit of wiggle time.
Carry on the good work Sir. After your last dio great things are expected!
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Also fashionably late but someone did mention biscuits :smiling5: Made a great start JR hope you have some paint on order, can't imagine you'll have any in stock :hungry:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bit late to the party bud looking good so far ,thumb still not very good large lump on the end and no feeling has equaled total lack of intrest in the hobby ,might have a flik through the net pm see if there's one of these in 72nd need to get get going again. Dave
Hi mate, sorry to read the thumb is still sore. You must have hit it with some force :cold-sweat: .
Jadar Hobies Poland. Here you go

ACE_72542.jpg.thumb_100x63.jpg
Ace 72542 1/72 BM-8-24 multiple rocket launcher
0.1000​
Price:
64,00 PLN​
Ace 72542 1/72 BM-8-24 multiple rocket launcher Set includes: - Injection molded plastic kit for assembly and painting - Detailed instruction Caution: Glue & paints not included. More about this kit you can see ...

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work JR. Sorry to hear the tracks have been a pain. It will be well worth the investment in the metal tracks.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
That's a lot of progress and the result looks good. The kit seems better than I thought it might be. Is this the EMA Plastic Weld you use?
View attachment 433818
I have used it for years and I find it really good. The only other styrene cement I occasionally use is Revell Contacta as it is slower drying and gives a bit of wiggle time.
Carry on the good work Sir. After your last dio great things are expected!
Jim
Thanks Jim, yes that's the stuff. Oh dear , wasn't going to do a dio , will have to have a think now.:nerd::smiling3:

Also fashionably late but someone did mention biscuits :smiling5: Made a great start JR hope you have some paint on order, can't imagine you'll have any in stock :hungry:

I've just ordered some Short bread and Chocolate biscuits we were out !

Nice work JR. Sorry to hear the tracks have been a pain. It will be well worth the investment in the metal tracks.

Thanks Steve, went to Hannants as direct from Fruil was far to much . Yes worth the metal as I want the sag. Master Club do some, but don't like those resin pins anymore.They should be here this week.

Coming on well John. Quite a small critter isn’t it….

Yes indeed it is Tim. Couldn't have had much room inside with no turret, so sitting only