Aeroplast BM 13-24 Katyusha in 1/35 scale.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Uhhhh Jimbo...........Maybe you want to have one of those cannons taking a shot in your cut away model. I'm sure you could have some fun with it. Too bad the spiders are way out of scale though Sir.....................

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking very good indeed John.
Thanks Nick appreciate you looking in.

The separate elements look very good John. The flame and smoke effect is excellent. In use though I think there would be more smoke up by the projectile and down around the launch platform and vehicle. Great idea as well. I don’t think I’ve seen this done on a rocket firing platform before. I’ve seen it done with napoleonic cannon though, usually with a cannonball visible at the barrel of the gun…..much simpler than what you are achieving here.
Thanks Tim, I'll try that , the "smoke " is very much in the test stage. Will take another look tomorrow and take some more photos.Once the "smoke " looks right around the rockets I'll dry brush .

Hi John
Fire and smoke. Right up your street. It does look good though. What is that web stuff? Would the smoke be greyish where it is thickest?
Jim
Hope your gardening is done. If the weather with you is like it is here today you'll be better off indoors. It has thrown it down all day :worried::tired:
Jim

Hi Jim, not too bad this morning, just a few spots then it turned sunny , followed by cloud from the rear of the day. Still loads to do, finished digging out 2 buddleias that seem to takes ages .

I see Allen has kindly explained what the webbing is. Halloween sellers on Evilbay is where I got it , plus the spiders !

Yes right up my street , minus the real flame though.:smiling2::nerd:
Well done JR. A right result. Very impressive

Thanks Steve, let's hope it turns out right.

Forgot to mention that the pewter track guards were not used. Just couldn't get a decent fixing so resulted to the kit ones. Glad now I hadn't ditched them . The tracks went on, not the easiest as they are so small, and I still needed one more link !
Track guard supports were made with some pe frame .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I like how that looks a lot. With just the plain yellow as in the first photo, I wasn’t impressed, but after you added the other colours and the smoke, it looks really good. I think I would add some varnish to make the flames matt rather than gloss, though that’s about the only small issue I see with them. Nicely done :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I like how that looks a lot. With just the plain yellow as in the first photo, I wasn’t impressed, but after you added the other colours and the smoke, it looks really good. I think I would add some varnish to make the flames matt rather than gloss, though that’s about the only small issue I see with them. Nicely done :smiling3:
Thanks Jakko, yes they need to be matted , today is a test of the method of laying the smoke and pigment.

Great job John, will make a change from your habit of actually burning stuff. ;)

Andy.

Andy we can't not have some sort of fire now can we .:smiling3: Thanks .

WOT......no LED's???? Tsk tsk JR......does Matron know you are off your Meds again? Cheers........all looking good and a very successful launch Sir. Rick H. :thumb2:

Rick I was Matron who suggested, no ordered me not the have any LEDs for fear that I would have to up my meds yet again .:smiling3::smiling3:.

As mentioned to Jakko today is a test day for smoke , pigments . Having been in discussion with soon the be retired Allen Dewire of Bamburg an expert on such things a test section of thin timber will have some smoke affixed to it , just to check the bet method , ie varnish , hairspray , and then how much pigment to apply .
Think I have watched every filmed launch on U Tube , at least on the pc I can slow the speed right down and pause to get a better idea .

More later .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John,

That's coming on nicely.

Well done.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking like a real winner, John!
Hope so Neil, today was a trial , and it turned into one! Still that's the nature of trying out news things.

John,

That's coming on nicely.

Well done.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

Go for it JR......just keep us posted as to progress etc. :thumb2: Rick H.

Hi Rick, will do.

Having had further discussions with Dude 1 and spent some time looking at film of launches things have changed, as these photos will show.Some of the film was in colour, and I couldn't see any red, the only time large amounts of black smoke appeared was when the whole load had been fired. I slowed down the film to a quarter speed and paused .

2021.jpg2021_2.jpg

2021_3.jpg

So you can see how long the smoke trail with the propellent is . Tomorrow another test will be done.

Dzhon.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Now tell me,yesterday I burnished the tracks, washed and laid them out to dry. Then put on a tile on the bench and laid them side by side , both the same lenght. This morning I looked and one is 3 links short ?
Answers please.:confused: Now got to add those three links and burnish them to match :angry:
No issue here, it is the link fairy, she arrives every night and removes a link as payment for not putting a tooth under your pillow for the tooth fairy. Next you will be visited by the plastic goblin, he is the one that arrives just before you duck your head under the bench to pick up that bit you dropped, he then takes it away to teach you the lesson about putting a tooth under your pillow at night for the tooth fairy. At the midnight hour you will be visited by the wide awake fairy, it is she that keeps you awake worrying about where you are going to get the tooth to put under your pillow for the tooth fairy. So stop being a tight wad and put a tooth under your pillow - SWMBO now has only three teeth in her head :tongue-out3:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hey Ron, it's good to see I'm not the only one in this boat. I guess that's why I never finish anything. Too many little details to add and not enough time in this life to do it. Hope all is ok on you end Bro.........

Prost
Allen (Ret.)
No Youngerthanme, you just like to look at the pretty pictures and leave all the big words to us oldies.... :nerd:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Not trying to steal John's thunder, but it's still in the planning/working stages and the smoke is in it's infancy. He hasn't even started with the coloring or the pastels yet. The webbing is Halloween spider web decoration in a bag. Comes with black plastic spiders too. Cheap, as I bought a bag with 9 spiders and a lot of webbing for €1,50 in the €1 store. It's tightly packed, but you can pull it apart and tease it into pretty cool looking smoke. Some of you may remember this,

View attachment 436521

I used the webbing (without the spiders) and various pastels to do it. We know John will nail this puppy for sure.

Sorry for the diversion Dude 2.............

Prost
Allen (Ret.)
Great idea Youngerthanme, but only you could get ripped off in the 1euro store for 1.50euro. (Sorry do not have euro sign on my keyboard, only have 1950 keyboard).
Olderthanyou.