Afternoon All......

Phoenix II

Chief Cat Herd! at North Riding
First Name
Paul
Newbie on here, some may know me, others may have well had the warning! For my sins I'm chief cat herder oops, sorry, club secretary for North Riding IPMS! Serial kit starter, finishing the build is the problem! Been playing at model assembly since the early sixties (YES, I'm THAT old!) and remember going to Woolies clutching 2/- (10p) in me hot, sticky, little hand to buy the newest kit that Airfix had just released and leave the requisite 'pool of drool' when daring to look at a series 5, the nerve! If I waited two weeks I could even buy a tube of glue! N.B. I make NO comment about paint, I mean, that was for sissies! anyway, Dad had loads of tins of paint in the shed.........though I never got to use 'em............
Things have progressed slightly, honest! (I now, only occasionally, get glue on a canopy, IF I get that far!) though quite a few of the cats err, members of the club would probably disagree (shut up Mark! @gothicgeek ).
Married, four kids, seven grandkids, number eight is due in the next three weeks or so......Royal Mail willing! Another five years and I'm officially a 'blow in' to the County of Yorkshire. Born in Leicestershire and raised in both Derbyshire and Staffordshire. Current project is the Vulcan.......and we'll leave that there!

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome Paul. That is som Intro! Look forward to seeing some of the kits you have started!
Oh buy the way those kits from Woolies we used to burn our 2/- on. You can still buy most of 'em. cost a bit more than 2bob though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Paul,
welcome to the forum. I don't hold it against you not being born in Yorkshire - at least you're there now! I've been doing missionary work amongst the heathens in Gloucestershire for 30 odd years, but Sheffield born & bred!
I think you'll find a comfortable niche here, amongst like minded modellers!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cracking intro Paul, far to young to remember woolies what ever that is ;):thinking::upside:
WHAT BOB cant remember woolies you young wippersnapper lol that was my model shop when i got to go into the city as they sold nr everything an it was great to have a nice nosh up there as well one of the best shops ever goin really use to look forward to goin in there well perhaps you will remember their proper name it was F W Woolworths thank you PaulE
chris

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
A warm welcome from down here too, Paul.
I know it's not Yorkshire, a County I began to appreciate thanks to James Herriot's books (just what every behaving sheep should do :rolling:), but I live north of something anyway... ;)

Andrea

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
F. W. Woolworths was it's proper name as I remember it. Aka. "woolywarts". Great soda shop had hand made, flavored, nickle (five cent) cokes.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi paul welcome to t’forum :smiling5: cheers tony

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Never mind Woolworths......what's 2bob?........welcome Paul hope you can stand this place....and most of us are old gits so you'll fit right in!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Never mind Woolworths......what's 2bob?........welcome Paul hope you can stand this place....and most of us are old gits so you'll fit right in!
Rick 2 bob IS NOW 10 new pence as in our pound we use to have 240 pennies to our pound when we decimaliced in 1971 our pound went down to 100 pennises in the pound as my dad used to say what happened to the other 140 pennyies so our money was more than cut in half as i remember if i was lucky enough to be given a red 10 bob note i could near clear out a sweet shop on one counter but that dint happen often an Rick im a young ole git lol
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
PaulRick, two bob was two old shillings, which were 12 pence each. That was in the days when there were 240 pennies to a pound, and 2.4 dollars to the pound, so our pennies had the same theoretical value as your cent.
Pete

Last edited: