AFV 1/35 SCALE STURMTIGER.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi John

Dunkelgelb?

You could try every paint available and still not be "there".

Any samples are now decades old and even colour photo are degraded.

Add in wear and tear, washes, weathering, pigments, OPR/SODA and all the other things you might throw at the old girl and you would not recognise the original base colour.

I am using my SturmTiger as part of a bigger Dunkelgelb experiment, so the best advise I can offer,

is use what you thing looks right and enjoy the fun of playing with the finish.

I am/will be!

HTH's, a little?

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks good to me

Quote from paint description:

"Our water based primer available in a Dark Yellow perfectly suited for use under German Dunkelgelb vehicles and similar colours. Our primer has excellent adhesion and smooth matte finish that ensures that every detail of the surface will stay crisp and the paint will grip over smoothly. Optimized formula for maximum performance with either brush or airbrush. 60 mL jar. Water soluble, odorless and non-toxic. Shake well before each use. Each jar includes a stainless steel agitator to facilitate mixture. We recommend MIG -2000 Acrylic Thinner for a correct thinning. Dries completely in 24 hours. "
Gary, thanks, to the rescue yet again:thumb2:
That's that then, have all the paints.
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Peter, take a seat, Mr Jones will be along shortly for you're drinks order.
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
I try to get it as near as poss, and yes I know what you mean.
But.........
I don't suppose you can remember in the " other house " when I fitted the incorrect StuG barrel. All hell broke out, with one guy leaving the forum, after a right ding dong on on the merits of using the correct barrel. Since then I try together it right,not wishing for a repeat !
John :smiling2::smiling2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hello mate

My turn to confuse you now with some ideas:smiling5:

From the 18th February 1943 Dunkelgelb RAL 7028. (Matte Dark Yellow) was ordered to be used on all new vehicles. I wont bore you with the joys of vehicles painted in the field as your build is based on factory outputted vehicles. On the on 19 August 1944 all vehicles painted at the factory had to have the Hinterhalt-Tarnung (ambush camouflage). The first picture shows a base colour of Dunkelgelb, with Rotbraun and Olivgrün stripes. On top of each colour, small dots of the other two were applied. This pattern was created to give the appearance of the sun shining through forest foliage. So if you were going for the Bulge Sturmtiger you would go for this. However as you are going for the street scene then you need to consider the disc scheme. (second picture)

hinterhalt-05.jpg

hinterhalt-06.jpg

The reason I say consider is because there are photos of a Sturmtiger with no camo at all and others with just the stripes and no dots or discs.

As far as the RAL 7028 goes there are around six variants of the same colour so no wonder its a minefield. As already stated the variations are due to original base coats, where it was painted (Factory or in the field), dirt, sun fading etc etc. Whatever you decide to do there are enough arguments and variables for you to be able to do the disc scheme justify whatever choice you decide to make as far as historically accuracy goes.:smiling5:

Steve

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I had better clarify the "no camo" version. This was obviously the prototype (Steel rimmed wheels) and possibly one captured near Bonn which was painted in plain dark yellow. It may have had winter white camo but its difficult to tell from the photo. However there was no Zim on the lower hull. Historical accuracy - dont you just luv it:flushed:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Matron...... Bring the pills please, Mr Jones is determined to drive me insane !
Confused
Patient No 343
Room 9

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Hello mate

My turn to confuse you now with some ideas:smiling5:

From the 18th February 1943 Dunkelgelb RAL 7028. (Matte Dark Yellow) was ordered to be used on all new vehicles. I wont bore you with the joys of vehicles painted in the field as your build is based on factory outputted vehicles. On the on 19 August 1944 all vehicles painted at the factory had to have the Hinterhalt-Tarnung (ambush camouflage). The first picture shows a base colour of Dunkelgelb, with Rotbraun and Olivgrün stripes. On top of each colour, small dots of the other two were applied. This pattern was created to give the appearance of the sun shining through forest foliage. So if you were going for the Bulge Sturmtiger you would go for this. However as you are going for the street scene then you need to consider the disc scheme. (second picture)

hinterhalt-05.jpg

hinterhalt-06.jpg

The reason I say consider is because there are photos of a Sturmtiger with no camo at all and others with just the stripes and no dots or discs.

As far as the RAL 7028 goes there are around six variants of the same colour so no wonder its a minefield. As already stated the variations are due to original base coats, where it was painted (Factory or in the field), dirt, sun fading etc etc. Whatever you decide to do there are enough arguments and variables for you to be able to do the disc scheme justify whatever choice you decide to make as far as historically accuracy goes.:smiling5:

Steve
The more infos the better.... :smiling::tears-of-joy::smiling::tears-of-joy:

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Mick/JR - :smiling5::smiling3::smiling6::tears-of-joy::smiling2::smiling:

Matron is a fine woman and your picture is indeed a true likeness. As I am restrained in my padded room at the moment I couldn't possibly comment

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The more infos the better.... :smiling::tears-of-joy::smiling::tears-of-joy:
Greg, more to confuse me you mean! :worried:
Think I will work on the simple Russian one ..... 4 BO..... Now that would start them off. !
Really though I have the paints that Gary gave me the no's for . Then the camo, t I might join another forum before then !!!!!! No just Joking!
The Devon crowd have arrived, sleeping arrangements have been made , 3 dogs 2 small boys and one daughter.
See you all soon .
John.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, sorry to have missed roll call earlier, just snuck in the side entrance.... happy to be watching now...

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron .
Your more than welcome. Not much to show, been gluing figures, removed the rear engine hatch. Started on the Zim, using Milliput … seems ok ......so far.
John.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, there is a Zimmerit tutorial on YouTube by a guy called Obsessed With Armor. He uses Elmer's brand acrylic wood putty , and though I have not tried it yet, it looks like the way to go. If you botch your first attempt(s) , just wash it off, as it is water soluble. If interested , search YouTube for "Zimmerit Tutorial Tamiya Panther"

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, there is a Zimmerit tutorial on YouTube by a guy called Obsessed With Armor. He uses Elmer's brand acrylic wood putty , and though I have not tried it yet, it looks like the way to go. If you botch your first attempt(s) , just wash it off, as it is water soluble. If interested , search YouTube for "Zimmerit Tutorial Tamiya Panther"
Thanks Ron.
I had attempted to use a product called Unibond No Nails. I'd seen a You tube video from a modelling shop. Looked good, but when I came to use it apart from being very messy to apply, it tended to pull off when I use the Trumpeter Zim Tools. Ended up with the Milliput. The front went on well, just a few rough edges, the back has been harder with the all the raised moulded parts to get round. I've been doing it in small sections.Will up load some photos tomorrow .
John.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Patient No. 343
Room 9.

Dear sir,
After giving up half way through reading the colours debate, I'm glad I'm a 'Near Enough' merchant.............or I'd be in Room 10!

Yours.
Pablo Picasso