AFV Club Sd.Kfz251/20 'UHU' Diorama

F

Fenlander

Three sections of the hedge underway. I think these sections will cover what I want. Just need plumping up a bit :smiling3:

image_7.jpe

This is something very difficult to show but I have made a static grass applicator from an electronic fly swat and a metal tea strainer (search YouTube for loads of videos how to do this)

The idea is to make the static grass strands stand on the end so they look a bit more like grass. Home made ones lack the power of the commercial ones but this cost me £6 to make compared to between £40 and £100 for the big boys. If I was building a railway layout then the investment of the top end models would be worth it but for the odd diorama and vignette, this will do me.

As I said, not easy to show but picture one is sprinkled on

image_6.jpe

This is using the aplicator. Not a huge difference but, to me anyway, it looks more ordered and certainly looks more natural.

image_8.jpe

D

Deleted member 4539

There is a huge difference Graham.

The first pic(without applicator) is lifeless where as the 2nd is much more alive. :smiling3:

D

dubster72

\ said:
There is a huge difference Graham.
The first pic(without applicator) is lifeless where as the 2nd is much more alive. :smiling3:
alive.jpg

Hehe sorry Ralph, couldn't resist it! :P

F

Fenlander

The hedge is in place and some rough groundwork under the tree and hedge. Most of the short grass is in place, I need some clumps of longer ready type grass in places to give more interest.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-80.jpg

The figure is now completed

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-81.jpg

Yep, he is darning his sock with some 'liberated' red wool..... oh the horror of war......:rolleyes:

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-82.jpg

Just noticed some damage on his hand holding the needle so that will need touching up.

This fits into a black A4 picture frame to finish it off but at some point I need to fill and paint the edges to tidy it up. Then I will decide on the final position of the 251 and do some track damage to the grass.

D

dubster72

Hey, those socks don't darn themselves! Not that youngsters would know what we mean ;)

Great work Graham, you're really bringing it to life. Only one thought (I've used up today's quota!), he looks kinda lonely.... a couple of other crewmen might work better?

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Hey, those socks don't darn themselves! Not that youngsters would know what we mean ;)
Great work Graham, you're really bringing it to life. Only one thought (I've used up today's quota!), he looks kinda lonely.... a couple of other crewmen might work better?
They have gone down the pub and left him to do the domestics:sad:. I just about got away with the painting on this one, not going to push my luck on a couple more :D I was thinking of some camp detritus though, maybe a burnt out fire with a tripod an kettle or something. Not sure what they used though, I will have to do some picture searching.

Really need to crack on with this now, it is taking up far too much time but a huge amount learned doing it.