AFV Club Tiger I

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
Nice work so far. There is another technique that works well on track sag, that is to run some black cotton through the links top and bottom between the road wheels where it will be hidden the advantage of this is you can adjust the sag by adjusting then tension on the cotton.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I knew those needlework evenin classes were worth while doing Paul LOL

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Paul, not heard of that one. Wouldn't it also pull the bottom track up though?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob, Not if you go either side of the wheel center the wheel rim stops it from lifting. The track is normally stiff enough to resist it but if there is a little it will look natural when placed on the base as tracks are very rarely perfectly flat at the bottom unless on hard standing.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheer Pauls, might give that a go if the CA doesn't work.

Again, I'm not too worried with this one as it's more for practice, but a good technique for future builds. :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Cheer Pauls, might give that a go if the CA doesn't work.

Again, I'm not too worried with this one as it's more for practice, but a good technique for future builds. :smiling3:
Bob .
You see in the long winter nights out in South Lincolnshire Paul tries out these weird and wonderful techniques :smiling2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Bob, Not if you go either side of the wheel center the wheel rim stops it from lifting.
I’d loop the thread around the wheel axle instead of the bottom run, if I were to use this method.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Finished of the construction tonight by cleaning up all the odds and sods, and getting the PE tool clamps installed.

It doesn't look like I did much but this little lot took a couple of hours.

With any luck I can get some primer down tomorrow. :smiling3:

IMG_20190731_210733.jpgIMG_20190731_210801.jpgMVIMG_20190731_210858.jpg

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Paul. :smiling3:

Yep, fiddly little gits. I still have to add the top straps and wing nuts but will do that after painting and when the tools are installed.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brilliant work Bob , a lot of mine look like the first photo on Wednesday when their finished !

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys,

Pushed on quite well with the build this weekend, I'm away on holiday from Wednesday and trying to get it to the point where it is ready for weathering when I get back.

First up was the tracks. I'm experimenting with some new (to me) techniques, so after priming the tracks were sprayed with Mr Hobby iron buffable. The cleats, guide horns and inner parts of the tracks where the wheels would run were given a light polish, then it was sealed with gloss. This was then painted in a heavily thinned coat of streaking rust. Not sure if it comes out as well in the pics, but I was going for an oxidised look on the non wear parts of the track.

1.jpg2.jpg

Of course much of this will be hidden by later pigment work, and I will most likely hit the cleats again with some Uschi powder wiped on with a fingertip.

Next up was the paintwork. Mission Models paint was used for the Dunkengelb, Olivegrun & Rotbraun. Not sure if the colours are entirely appropriate for this tank, but it's what I had in the drawer. The camo is a bit quick and messy, but again this is more of a practice than anything else.

3.jpg4.jpg

After this had dried for a couple of hours I got a gloss coat on ready for decalling tonight. With any luck I can get it glossed again tomorrow night (amidst packing) then leave it there until I get back to the UK. :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looking really good Bob. The tracks have turned out really well. Very disappointing you are not taking it on holiday to finish it off. A holiday should not get in the way of a masterpiece:smiling5::thumb2::cool:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Got the decals down last night and glossed today.

Had a nightmare with them, must have been old and practically disintegrated so had to be added in bits. Will add some chipping and scratching over them at some point to hide the worst of the crimes. :smiling3:

IMG_20190806_170810.jpgIMG_20190806_170825.jpgIMG_20190806_170838.jpg

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looks very good Bob, I had the same trouble with AFV Club Tiger decals on one I did a few years ago.