AGM-86 cruise missile, 1:72

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Well, painting turned out to be about as complicated as construction of this model :smiling3:

There are a number of possible schemes, but most of those need USAF markings which I don’t have in suitable sizes, so I thought I would just go for this overall grey that’s to be seen in photographs of the real thing:

30DD56E4-93F1-4DC9-8F43-570432DC106C.jpegE3B2F7BF-9AD2-4316-BE40-3705077A320E.jpeg

A couple of coats of Tamiya neutral grey for the overall colour, a yellow line around the fuselage (masked, then white paint, then yellow) and then some shading and highlighting by brushing Tamiya smoke into the panel lines and drybrushing with some lighter shades of grey. Oh, and some aluminium for the inside of the air intake and the exhaust. Done :smiling3:

The stand, by the way, is an old Games Workshop “flying base”, 60 mm in diameter with a 35 mm pylon. I had to drill a 2 mm hole into the bottom of the missile for it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
1309246-34841-22-pristine.jpg

Time to build a diorama of the plane in the air, with the missiles being launched … the one I’ve finished already needs to be far enough away that its wings have fully deployed, of course, and I can convert the other two into one just launched and one halfway to deployed wings … How much room do you think I’ll need? :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I suppose it kind of comes in the range of an earlier diorama idea I had, of a Matchbox/Revell Flower-class corvette depth-charging a Revell Type VII U-boat, with the depth to correct scale of course ;)

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Well, painting turned out to be about as complicated as construction of this model :smiling3:

There are a number of possible schemes, but most of those need USAF markings which I don’t have in suitable sizes, so I thought I would just go for this overall grey that’s to be seen in photographs of the real thing:

View attachment 411193View attachment 411194

A couple of coats of Tamiya neutral grey for the overall colour, a yellow line around the fuselage (masked, then white paint, then yellow) and then some shading and highlighting by brushing Tamiya smoke into the panel lines and drybrushing with some lighter shades of grey. Oh, and some aluminium for the inside of the air intake and the exhaust. Done :smiling3:

The stand, by the way, is an old Games Workshop “flying base”, 60 mm in diameter with a 35 mm pylon. I had to drill a 2 mm hole into the bottom of the missile for it.

Reminds me of the 'fake' Bond movie, Never Say Never Again.
T

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
View attachment 411216

Time to build a diorama of the plane in the air, with the missiles being launched … the one I’ve finished already needs to be far enough away that its wings have fully deployed, of course, and I can convert the other two into one just launched and one halfway to deployed wings … How much room do you think I’ll need? :smiling3:
Can’t wait to see this Jakko. :tongue-out3: