AGV Flak 88/18

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm in the process of building the above. Lots of small parts and thick connections between parts and sprue, but manageable.
The question though is the bogies have what appears to be cable drums fitted. But what are they for...
I've only managed to find one photo showing the drums but too grainy to identify.
Any ideas.
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They carry communication cables for use when battery firing, and providing links to a command element for co-ordinated fire missions etc
Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Andy,

The cable reels were used to wire the the guns to a kommandogerät 40, which supplied the data of the incoming enemy aircraft. This was the range out to 18 kms and altitude of 12 kms. That data allowed the FlaK 88 gunners to set the the fuses of the shells for firing. Also what Steve said...

Prost
Allen

Dang, I forgot the pic,

Entfernungsmesser_4_RL.JPG
This was towed on a trailer and normally placed on the ground , as seen, when in use. Bronco makes a kit of this if you want to go crazy...

Last edited:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
They carry communication cables for use when battery firing, and providing links to a command element for co-ordinated fire missions etc
Steve
Hi Andy,

The cable reels were used to wire the the guns to a kommandogerät 40, which supplied the data of the incoming enemy aircraft. This was the range out to 18 kms and altitude of 12 kms. That data allowed the FlaK 88 gunners to set the the fuses of the shells for firing. Also what Steve said...

Prost
Allen

Dang, I forgot the pic,

View attachment 508702
This was towed on a trailer and normally placed on the ground , as seen, when in use. Bronco makes a kit of this if you want to go crazy...
That's great, thought they looked like would be communication, but with what. All the photos show the gun and not a lot else, and of course museum pieces don't have the cables on.
The idea is a diorama of the crew at rest... humm Bronco you say... how crazy do I want to get. :tongue-out3:
Thanks
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If you really want to know what (nearly) all the bits are for, and how to operate them:
Just brought it up and book marked it. Looks like I've now got some bed time reading. Thanks Jakko, that's brilliant.
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve got a hardcopy that looks genuine, but turns out to be a (1980s or so?) reprint that doesn’t say it’s a reprint — but it has the exact same label and stamp on it as the scanned copy there, just in different places, and a second scan I’ve seen also has those, but in different places again. In any case, it’s one of the most readable TMs you’ll find, because it doesn’t have most of the tedious bits that TMs for American equipment invariably do :smiling3:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
because it doesn’t have most of the tedious bits that TMs for American equipment invariably do :smiling3:
You mean like don't stand in front of the hole at the end of the long stick thingy.
I'm wondering if it is the same as I found a link to, but the link didn't work...
Certainly very interesting, how the recuperators work. Was surprised to see they expected it to be only 2.5 minutes from stopping to be ready to fire. Anyway I ramble, so cheers.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The tedium with American TMs is mostly stuff like endless lists of parts, of jobs to do and when to do them, explanations of how stuff works that anyone who looks at it will understand right away anyway, etc.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The tedium with American TMs is mostly stuff like endless lists of parts, of jobs to do and when to do them, explanations of how stuff works that anyone who looks at it will understand right away anyway, etc.
Thought it was probably about something like that. Though prefer my idea of "don't stand in front of the barrel when in use" Funnily enough, there is a piece about what NOT to do if a missfire occurs.