Aifix Buccaneer S.2B 1:48

B

backonthecase

Yes I think, knowing Trumpeter, it will be stupidly priced and probably not that accurate - look at their 1/32 Lightning....!! Plus 2 little ones would have an infinitely higher level of enjoyment and satisfaction than any model aircraft - EVEN a Buccaneer!!!

Yes I did it seperately. It's the only way in my mind, with something of this size. I overlapped the top and bottom. I can't hold it securely enough to do it all on one go, then dry without sticking to something!

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Right, just a couple of pics this time, but it's been glossed, decaled, glossed again, washed, matted and "dirtied". Let me know what you think. Final stages for this one, although the ordnance is giving me some bother... :o ( least I can say the aircraft itself is nearly there

OK so the pics are awful - I'll post some decent ones when I have more time.

Stuart

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You could be right about the Buccaneer Stuart but I've seen some shots of the test kit and the detail looks brilliant, although obviously it's impossible to tell about the dimensional accuracy.

What if it turns out to be as good as their Me 262s though? How much would we pay for a Buccaneer that good?

We gotta wait and see, but I've also found there's a Hawk trainer (a la Red Arrows), an Ar 196 and an He 111, all in 1/32, in the pipeline from Revell! What if they all come out as good as their Ju 88?

I'm doing my best to fill my wish list and these manufacturers keep adding to it!

Gern

B

backonthecase

Ooooh a 1/32 Hawk... nice. I'd not want a Red Arrow though, would have to be the gloss black anniversary scheme for me! Lovely!!

Interesting question - sweepstake on how much their Bucc would cost? haha!!

Stuart

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi Stuard , that plane looks fantastic mate!

Now I am the one who envy you with your modling skill, I am a VERY long wat from achieving those tipe of results, if ever I do.

T

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Stuart,

I found the link to those pics of the new Buccaneer.

All ex Buccaneer Pilots we need your help, Beware Big Pics - PPRuNe Forums

You'll know more than me about this 'plane, but the detail shown here seems as good as I've seen anywhere. It certainly looks like a Buccaneer to me, so I'm up for this one as soon as I can save up enough pennies. Think I'd better start saving now - then I won't have so long to wait after it is released!

Gern

PS Yes. I had spotted the last pic is a Tornado and that's lookin' smokin' too! If you want confirmation of why ours is the best forum on the 'net, have a read of the posts that come with these pics! Tee hee!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

backonthecase

I had a look at the post Gern... crikey :busted_red:

Yeah that is looking the boll***s, it looks like they've fairly packed in the detail... gona be a moster though!! Now, I wonder if I need both my kidneys.....

Theuns, thank you for the comments, very kind! It looks a little bit rough close up but I've rescued it from what it looked like a year ago! So I'm failry satisfied!!!

Stuart

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
the bucc is looking fab now stuart, looking forward to seeing the finished pics. cheers tony

B

backonthecase

I'm jealous Graham!! THat must have been a heck on an experience!!!

K

Kai

if anyone knows nutlose on that forum I might be able to help a friend of mine worked at BAE on the buc and knows it inside and out if anyone wants to pass my work addy to him I put them in touch

r....i.... .k...at.....solwise.....co.....uk hope you can get it from that lol .........

B

backonthecase

That's cool Kai, I must remember when I get my hands on the Trumpeter 1:32 one.... mwahahahahahaahaaaaaaaaaaa

Anyway back to this one...

It's done, minus the ordnance...

Comments welcome.

Stuart

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi stuart , great job!I know the airfix bucc comes in for a bit of stick now and then but as youve proved it can be made into a fantastic model of an iconic aircraft,especially in its finest hour colours . five stars from me , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's turned out real nice. Well done stuart.

Gern

F

Fenlander

Looks really good Stuart. The way you have enhanced the definition of the detail is spot on. It is all too easy to get a single colour aircraft, or anything else for that matter, looking a bit 'brick like'. Spot on mate.

B

backonthecase

Thanks guys,

Tony, I think it's one of the best swansongs of a retired aircraft ever, on a par with Vulcan tankers, Victor Tankers or the Black Buck Raid of '82!

Graham, I was worried about that, it's the 1st single colour I've done, but I just went mad with the chalk pastels and patented oil "speed streaks" and it seems to have worked out.

Thanks all of you for the kind remarks!

Stuart

B

bluebottle

\ said:
Very niclely done.I have wanted to build the same kit for a long time now, but the price here in SA is WAY more than I was going to pay for AIRFIX, or any other kit.We had them flying in the SAAF in a nice two tone blue/grey collour.

Here is an interesting question for you lads, do you know the reason for those little "jets" on the wing's top surface?

Theuns
the brick was the first to use blown flaps .

B

backonthecase

From what I used to see around Lossiemouth in the 80s-90s it was certainly nimble enough! And to counter these mean North-Scotland wind gusts!!!

Stuart

D

dubster72

That's a great build Stuart, very detailed & well finished-you clearly know when to say 'stop!'.

Just for some info, the Buccaneer used a system called 'Boundary Layer' that passed air across the upper surfaces to make it stable at low speeds & made it the foremost low-level attack aircraft of the late '60s & '70s. A very interesting book called 'Phoenix Squadron' is out there by Roland White (who also wrote Vulcan 607) which tells of a long-range mission by Buccaneers from Ark Royal to defend British Honduras-well worth a read!

Patrick