Air Brush Cleaners

A

AVB99

Hello

Does anyone know of an airbrush cleaner please? I am referring to something that acts like a pipe cleaner or very thin brush that will clean out the barrel -obviously it can only be the same size as the needle. I'm sure I saw a very fine brush some months ago.

Thanks

Aidan

A

AVB99

Brilliant - that's what I saw - many thanks! It's worth a try - my airbrush clogs up far too often for my liking. Hopefully the thinnest brush will fit in the needle tube.

Aidan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Aidan

I use interdental brushes the type you use to clean between your teeth £1.50 buys you a pack of 5 and you can buy them in various sizes I get mine from Asda they are very fine and won't damage your airbrush.

Vaughan

A

AVB99

Thanks to all who replied. Vaughan that's a great idea! I have however ordered a set of the brushes referred to by Gaz. Only £3.79 including delivery from Amazon. WIll publish my findings when I have tried them out but will certainly keep your interdental brush in mind!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Aidan

I ordered my first set from eBay Like the ones you mentioned but I found that they were too harsh and the wire on the end of the smallest brush which was the only one that fitted my airbrush poked out further than the bristles so cold scratch the inside of the airbrush. The interdental one as you can imagine are a lot safer as you can use them in-between your teeth. When you get yours see how they go, they might be fine for you.

I hope this helps.

Vaughan

A

AVB99

The brushes arrived and the smaller one does look as though it would do thw job. Not knowing how precise the cylinder is I took your advice (Vaughan) and did not risk it. At Tesco (no ASDA here) I explored interdental brushes. There is a type with rubber bristles which would do no harm at all. These work really well. Am amazed at how much paint remains in the cylinder after what I thnk is a good clean. Many thanks for the tip Vaughan.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Aidan

No problems it's good to help after all that's what this forums all about.

Vaughan.

T

tecdes

\ said:
I Am amazed at how much paint remains in the cylinder after what I thnk is a good clean. Many thanks for the tip Vaughan.
Aidan what paint & what liquid cleaner do you use for cleaning your airbrush. After I have cleaned with one cup of Vallejo airbrush cleaner, except on rare occasions, cylinder, nozzle & needle are clean. The only piece I have to use a paper towel on is the cup but even then the cleaner has made the paint soft & easy to wipe away. Before using the cleaner & give a good douse in plain water. (Actually smelly chemical junk laden & horrible tasting Jersey Water).

Laurie

A

AVB99

I use a variety of paint including humbrol and tamiya and I use badger aerosol cleaner. All paints are acrylic.

M

m1ks

I second the interdental brushes, tesco's own brand, (cheaper than branded), 0.6mm seem to be the perfect size for the feed tube, a very fine beading needle make a perfect reamer for the nozzle too. The nylon bristled ones stand up well to even cellulose btw, not sure the rubber ones would?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I third the interdental brushes, i use them whenever im doing a needle out clean, ive even heard of some people using them to clean between their teeth!!! weird! tony