Air brush cleaning

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Remove the needle for cleaning after you have cleaned your airbrush, 3 flushes are best before needle removal. You will be suprised how many people pull the needle out first before airbrush cleaning.
Good point Ray. I was always told to remove the airbrush needle through the front of the brush but with my Iwatas that really means removing the entire nozzle assembly or,worse,the little nozzle itself. Anyone who has cross threaded one of those little b**gers will know why I try to avoid doing that.

A really good flush before pulling the needle out the back is essential.

I do find that on the Iwata brushes you can get some friction/resistance on the rather crude metal to metal hingey bit that the trigger acts on as well as between the barrel that slides back and the spring inside it. I find this lot need a bit of lubrication to ensure a nice smooth action.This is all mechanical resistance rather than anything to do with the paint though the problem Ray described will certainly mess up the smooth operation we all want.

Cheers

Steve

PS I hope I've made sense,I didn't look up the technical names for the parts I'm trying to describe.

S

sprayman

Im not an Iwata man Steve, I adore my Paasche and Harder & Steenbeck brushes, but what you said sounds good advice for Iwata owners, even though I hate the idea of anything thats not paint or thinner going into an airbrush... ;)

R

RickBrown

All good info chaps!

I've been using Tamiya and Vallejo and the brush cleans up a treat with IPA followed by windscreen wash then X20. I find it best to use a 1/8" Sable brush to clean the bowl then remove the needle and clean it (the needle that is) with cellulose thinners. I lube the needle up with SL and replace. The only thing I find is when I use Vallejo Satin it really gums the needle and bowl area with a horrid white gloop. Is there a better way of cleaning this out?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use Vallejo satin too. I clean it with Muc-Off (which would be similar to your screen wash) without any problem. I may be barking up the wrong tree but does the gloop occurr when you add the IPA,I've had Xtracrylix turn into clotted cream when I added alcohol.

Cheers

Steve

R

RickBrown

Hmmm, the first time I used X20 then the next was IPA then screenwash then Windowlene. I have a feeling I need to get Vallejo thinners for the MA Satin!

R

RickBrown

Does anyone have an opinion on SprayCraft Airbrush Cleaner? I have some kicking around. I seem to remember its particularly strong stuff. It also contains Xylene which I believe isn't very nice stuff.

G

gillieman

Well thanks for all the help and advice lads its been great getting all your words of wisdom.

I only use Vallejo air and i was just using windolene and water but did'nt find it was doing the job so thanks to Paul (ferrets bueller) he got me some vallejo air brush cleaner and its working a treat!!!

So thanks again for all the help.

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Well thanks for all the help and advice lads its been great getting all your words of wisdom.I only use Vallejo air and i was just using windolene and water but did'nt find it was doing the job so thanks to Paul (ferrets bueller) he got me some vallejo air brush cleaner and its working a treat!!!

So thanks again for all the help.
Yep and on saturday you will have an airbrush cleaning pot to help out even more, Happy biryhday mate

L

Lady_Phoenix

Im not really a seasoned pro with an AB and so far Ive not used enamals (Ok, I used the primer that came with it, but never again) but here is my routine (pretty much the same as everyone else)

Acrylic Paint

All of my paints have bene thinned and poured into its own jar, so I just pop jar on, spray, take jar off, put lid on and store.

Boil Kettle, wait about 10 mins.

Fill spare jar about 3/4 full with water (Put a metal spoon in or something to prevent jar from cracking)

when finished I put jar with water in onto AB and spray through about half.

I then tip away remaining water and refil to about 3/4 with water from kettle.

Spray through again.

Take AB off airhose and rinse under tap.

Enamal Paints

Buy acylic equivalent

If no acrylic equiv try looking at a different brand.

If no acrylic in another brand attempt to find acceptable alternative in usual brand.

...you get the picture :smiling3:

But as I say, thats my routine, it may be wrong. However, Im using a cheap Revell AB that probably isnt worth the £30 I paid for it. But it does the job for me.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
I've got an ultrasonic cleaner I don't use it after every use when I do use it I use about 1/4 AB cleaner then top up with warm water run it for 5 mins and it comes out sparkling :smiling3: that said if I didn't have it I don't think I would miss it, after every clean I use Iwata superlube
John

I've just purchased one of those. Used it for the first time today with brilliant results. Stripped the airbrush completely (no pieces left together) placed everything in the basket with a bath of 3 parts cleaner/7 parts water and it came out gleaming. It is surprising how much more dirt it removes. I highly recommend the ultrasonic cleaner - superb. Like you say, not everyday use but if you want a thorough clean nothing competes.

Cheers

Paul